When a vehicle or trailer’s vehicle identification number (VIN) has been removed, altered, lost, or destroyed, or when a new vehicle or has been built, the owner can submit an application form along with supporting documents to apply for a Manitoba-assigned VIN.

There are different situations when a new Manitoba-assigned VIN may be required:

Original VIN is damaged, defaced or missing

There are several reasons why this may occur, including vandalism, theft, a windshield or dash repair and/or replacement, and more.

Amalgamated Vehicles

An amalgamated vehicle is a motor vehicle which has been reconstructed using major components (for example, body/cab or frame/chassis) from two or more vehicles.

Reconstructed vehicles that are built entirely from the parts of vehicles that have an irreparable status are prohibited from being issued an assigned VIN. Only vehicles where one or more of the major components is derived from a vehicle that does not have an irreparable status will qualify for the issuance of an assigned VIN.

Glider trucks

A glider kit is a collection of parts used to assemble a heavy commercial truck. Glider kits consist of the following newly-manufactured components:

  • chassis
  • complete cab assembly (windshield, instrument panel, custom-built interior, new hood, fenders and bumpers)
  • steering axle assembly (wheel ends, brakes, wheels and tires)
  • other minor parts such as wiring harnesses, mounting hardware, brackets, fasteners, etc.

A glider kit does not include any of the following drivetrain components:

  • engine
  • transmission
  • drive axle

Homemade Trailers

A VIN is not a requirement for registering a trailer in Manitoba, but some Manitobans who have built their own trailer may wish to have a VIN assigned for identification purposes.

Supporting documents required

The supporting documents required for having a VIN assigned may include:

Depending on the type of vehicle, other supporting documents could be required. Please contact the Vehicle Safety department for questions regarding assigned VINs:

Phone: 204-985-0920

Toll-free: 1-866-323-0542

Transfer of Ownership Document

The Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD) provides a reasonable assurance that the seller is the rightful owner of the vehicle.

The TOD assists consumers in several ways. The TOD shows:

The TOD helps the purchaser make an informed buying decision and should be viewed prior to purchasing a vehicle. It is not intended to eliminate the need for further action to protect yourself when buying a vehicle.

Completing the TOD

The TOD is part of the vehicle registration card. The person selling the vehicle must fill in the date and odometer reading and sign in the space provided. The purchaser must also sign. After completion, the seller separates the registration card, keeping the left portion and giving the right portion (TOD) to the purchaser to present when the vehicle is re-registered.

In the case of an unregistered vehicle, an Ownership Document is provided on request. The registration portion of the document is voided and only the vehicle/owner information is printed.


In most cases, when you buy a used vehicle, you’ll need a TOD to register the vehicle. The following applications for registration do not require a TOD:

  • When the vehicle was previously registered to the same owner in this or another jurisdiction.
  • When a new vehicle is purchased from a dealer.
  • When the vehicle was purchased in another jurisdiction. In this situation, an ownership document or title from the jurisdiction in question must accompany the application. View more information on importing a vehicle.
  • When the vehicle was sold by a person who is entitled by law to sell the vehicle without the owner’s consent.

Death-related transfers

When the registered owner dies, the vehicle registration remains valid until it expires or is cancelled. However, you must notify us, through your Autopac agent, about the owner’s death.

Transferring ownership from the deceased to a new owner requires certain documentation.

For all vehicles acquired from an Estate you must have a Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD), as well as other supporting documents which provide proof of ownership.

When a vehicle owned by an estate is sold to a third party, a bill of sale (signed by the estate executor or disposer) is required, in addition to the other documents listed here.

Situation 1 – Will Not Probated

If there is a will but it is not probated, you will require the following documents:

  • A complete Statutory Declaration & Indemnification Agreement – The Statutory Declaration & Indemnification Agreement form is to be completed by the executor, administrator, or disposer only. Signing the statutory declaration makes the applicant subject to a Criminal Code of Canada penalty for making a false statement under oath in an affidavit or statutory declaration.
  • Copy of the will, which was certified as a true copy by the executor
  • Copy of the death certificate
  • Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD)

Situation 2 – No Will and No Letters of Administration

If there is no will and no Letters of Administration, you will require the following documents:

  • A complete Statutory Declaration & Indemnification Agreement – The Statutory Declaration & Indemnification Agreement form is to be completed by the executor, administrator, or disposer only. Signing the statutory declaration makes the applicant subject to a Criminal Code of Canada penalty for making a false statement under oath in an affidavit or statutory declaration.
  • Copy of the death certificate
  • Documentation, if available, indicating that the person disposing of the deceased’s assets has the right to do so, (for example, court order, bankruptcy proceeding order)
  • Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD)

Situation 3 – Probated Will

If there is a probated will, you will require the following documents:

  • Copy of the will, naming the applicant as the beneficiary of the vehicle
  • Certified copy of Letters Probate
  • Copy of the death certificate
  • Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD)

Situation 4 – No Will but Letters of Administration Obtained

If there is no will but letters of Administration have been obtained, you will require the following documents:

  • Certified Copy of the Letters of Administration issued by the Surrogate Court, appointing the Administrator of the Estate
  • Copy of the death certificate
  • Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD)

Situation 5 – Joint Owners

When vehicles are jointly owned, they do not automatically fall into the estate of the deceased person. Instead, they pass to the surviving joint owner(s). To have a vehicle registered solely in the name of the surviving joint owner(s), you will require the following documents:

  • Proof of joint ownership (Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD) or other proof of ownership documents acceptable to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles).
  • Copy of the death certificate

You must be a Manitoba resident and at least 16 years of age to register a personal vehicle in Manitoba. (If you’re under 18 years of age, you’ll need written consent from your parents or legal guardians.)

You’ll need documents to show you own the vehicle and that it meets basic standards for operation. These requirements vary, depending if you bought the vehicle in a private sale, from a dealer, or from outside Manitoba.

Register a vehicle bought privately

To register a vehicle you have bought privately in Manitoba, you’ll need the following:

  • Bill of Sale that states: date purchased, vehicle’s model year, make, model and serial number; purchase price; purchaser’s name(s); seller’s name(s); purchaser’s signature(s), and seller’s signature(s).
  • A signed Transfer of Ownership Document from the previous owner.
  • Valid Certificate of Inspection issued by a Manitoba vehicle inspection station.

Register a vehicle from a dealer

To register a brand new vehicle, you’ll need:

  • New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) if the vehicle is brand new.
  • Bill of Sale that states: date purchased; vehicle’s model year, make, model and serial number (VIN); purchase price; purchaser’s name(s) and signature(s); seller’s name(s) and signature(s).

To register a used vehicle, you’ll need:

  • Bill of Sale that states: date purchased; vehicle’s model year, make, model and serial number (VIN); purchase price; purchaser’s name(s) and signature(s); seller’s name(s) and signature(s).
  • A signed Transfer of Ownership Document from the previous owner.
  • Valid Certificate of Inspection issued by a Manitoba vehicle inspection station.

Note that when you buy a used vehicle from an authorized dealer in Manitoba, you must purchase Autopac coverage before you drive the vehicle.

Purchasing outside Manitoba

You’ll need a Temporary Registration Permit to bring your vehicle into Manitoba. Once in Manitoba, you’ll need the documentation outlined above to register your vehicle.

We accept a valid COI from government-approved inspection programs in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec. All other provinces, territories and U.S. states are unacceptable.

United States

If imported from the U.S., a Vehicle Import Form is required from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). See information on CBSA requirements.

Note, if you purchase a vehicle in the U.S., a New Vehicle Information Statement is called a ‘certificate of origin’ and a Transfer of Ownership is called a “certificate of title”.

When you must register

Private purchases

Usually, you’ll have to register and insure your newly purchased vehicle before you drive it. Check with MPI or an Autopac agent before driving the vehicle to be sure you have the necessary coverage.

You can transfer the licence plates from your currently registered vehicle to your newly acquired vehicle when:

  • both vehicles are in the same registration class
  • you’ve disposed of the registered vehicle

If you dispose of your old vehicle, you have seven days after the day you disposed of your old vehicle to register your replacement vehicle. For this seven-day period, the same coverage on your old vehicle applies to your new one. For example, if your old vehicle was a motor home or a motorcycle, the declared value limit will carry over to your newly acquired vehicle. The declared value limit is the most you’ll get if your new motor home or motorcycle is written off.

If the coverage on your old vehicle is insufficient for your newly acquired one, it’s better to re-register and insure your new vehicle immediately with all the correct coverage limits. Talk to an Autopac agent.

If you are relying on the seven-day grace period, always carry documents in your vehicle showing the sale of your old vehicle and the purchase of your new one.

When your replacement vehicle is in a different registration class, you must report the change to an Autopac outlet before driving the vehicle. You’ll receive a new registration card and new plates, or a special sticker to put on your current plates.

Dealer purchases

When you buy a used vehicle from an authorized dealer in Manitoba, you must purchase Autopac coverage before you drive the vehicle. See information on Interim Registration Permits.

Out-of-province students

If you are a full-time student in Manitoba from out-of-province, your vehicle does not have to be registered in Manitoba if it is currently registered and insured in another jurisdiction. However, you will need to obtain a student sticker after providing proof that you are a full-time student and have valid vehicle registration and insurance.

For a student sticker to be issued, please provide the following documentation to at any MPI Service Centre:

  • A document from your educational institution confirming that you are a full-time student and the beginning and end dates of your study period.
  • A copy of your vehicle registration and insurance card.
  • A payment of $2 is required for the issuance of the sticker.

New Manitoba residents

New residents must obtain Manitoba registration and insurance within three months of becoming a resident if the vehicle is a passenger car-type (including vans), or truck with a gross weight, including load, not exceeding 3,700 kilograms. These vehicles may not be used for the commercial transportation of goods and people.

New residents need to obtain Manitoba registration and insurance as soon as possible for all other vehicle types. Until then, your vehicle needs to be properly registered for the current registration year in your previous jurisdiction.

Vehicle registration and insurance need to be purchased together as a vehicle must be both registered and insured in Manitoba. You can obtain both services from any insurance agent displaying an Autopac sign.

The Highway Traffic Act and The Drivers and Vehicles Act allow residents in remote communities to register their vehicles for a special registration charge. To qualify for the special registration charge, applicants must live in remote communities which are not connected to the provincial highways system by a year-round all-weather road.

Vehicles which qualify will display special licence plates, which restrict the vehicle to the roads in the community, and between one or more such remote communities. They may not be operated on any provincial highway in Manitoba.

The following is a list of designated remote areas:

  • Brochet R0B 0B0
  • Churchill R0B 0E0
  • Fort Churchill R0B 0E0
  • Garden Hill R0B 0T0
  • Gods Lake Narrows R0B 0M0
  • Ilford R0B 0S0
  • Lac Brochet R0B 2E0
  • Island Lake R0B 0T0
  • Little Grand Rapids R0B 0V0
  • Loon Straits R0C 1X0
  • Oxford House R0B 1C0
  • Pauingassi R0B 2G0
  • Pikwitonei R0B 1E0
  • Poplar River R0B 0Z0
  • Pukatawagan R0B 1G0
  • Shamattawa R0B 1K0
  • South Indian Lake R0B 1N0
  • Ste. Theresa Point R0B 1J0
  • Stevenson Island R0B 2H0
  • Tadoule Lake R0B 2C0
  • Thicket Portage R0B 1R0

All Autopac agents must ensure that Retail Sales Tax has been collected on a newly purchased vehicle before you can register it.

Dealer sale

If you purchased your vehicle from an authorized dealer, the dealer collected the Retail Sales Tax from you at the time of purchase. A copy of the document you received from the authorized dealer stating that you have paid the tax must be presented to an Autopac agent when you register your vehicle.

Where a trade-in is involved, you’ll be charged the tax based on the purchase price after deducting the value of the trade-in.

Private sale

If you purchased the vehicle privately, you will be charged the Retail Sales Tax when you register your vehicle. The tax will be based on the fair market value of the vehicle.

  • For passenger cars and light trucks, this value is either your purchase price or the average wholesale price for western Canada (whichever is greater).
  • For motorcycles, snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles, this value is either your purchase price or the current average resale value (whichever is greater).


The following situations would not require the purchaser of a used vehicle to pay the Retail Sales Tax.

Settler’s effects (new residents)

The Settler’s Effects exemption is allowed on a vehicle brought in to Manitoba from out-of-province by a new resident, providing all of the following requirements are met:

  • The person lived outside of Manitoba for at least six months before moving here.
  • The person owned the vehicle for at least 30 days before moving here.
  • The person brought the vehicle into Manitoba within six months of moving here.

Gift from a family member

If you receive a gift, you must provide a written note from the previous owner as verification.

The “family member” giving the gift to you must be your:

  • father
  • mother
  • son
  • daughter
  • grandfather
  • grandmother
  • granddaughter
  • grandson
  • father-in-law
  • daughter-in-law
  • son-in-law
  • mother-in-law
  • spouse

A “spouse” is someone married to you, cohabitating in a conjugal relationship with you for a continuous three-year period, or cohabitating in a conjugal relationship for more than one year and you have a child together.

Sibling and non-immediate family gifts are taxable.

Please note gifts between family members are only exempt if the Manitoba sales tax has been paid by the donor or the donor had received it tax exempt. For example, if a mother from another province gifts a vehicle to their child in Manitoba, the vehicle is taxable. However, if the mother had previously lived in Manitoba and had paid the Manitoba sales tax on the vehicle, the vehicle would be exempt.

Estate of a deceased person

No sales tax is required if you received the vehicle by a title transfer through the estate of a deceased person.

Won in a contest

You don’t have to pay sales tax if you can provide the purchase invoice or other document that proves the sponsor paid the tax on your behalf.

Exempt vehicles

Exempt vehicles are:

  • Fire trucks and their equipment.
  • Ambulances.
  • Off-road vehicles purchased by a Status Indian living on a reserve, if the off-road vehicle was shipped from an authorized dealer directly to the reserve.

Indigenous people

Status Indians are not required to pay RST if these conditions are met:

  • The vehicle title is transferred on a reserve.
  • Purchase/gifting documents are signed on a reserve.
  • Purchaser/recipient takes possession of the vehicle on a reserve (dealer or individual delivers it or ships it by common carrier to the reserve).
  • Recipient received vehicle as a gift from another status Indian (including siblings).

Single proprietorship

In single proprietorships where the legal business name or the trading name is being changed to the proprietor’s own name, there is no “sale” and no tax is paid.

A change in name from an individual to a corporate name is exempt only if the transfer is made at the time of incorporation.

Homemade trailer

You are not required to pay sales tax when you register a homemade trailer you built yourself.

However, if you are registering a homemade trailer you purchased from someone else, you are charged sales tax.

Additional information

If you are unsure if your situation qualifies for one of the exemptions above please see Taxation Information Bulletin No. 054, or contact Manitoba Finance Taxation Division.

Retail Sales Tax forms are available from the Government of Manitoba Taxation Division.

Manitoba follows the Stolen and Wrecked Vehicle Monitoring Program (SWVMP) to monitor and control the movement of stolen and wrecked vehicles. All Canadian jurisdictions have implemented this program.

Program objectives

The main objectives of the SWVMP are to:

  • Prohibit the registration of any irreparable vehicle.
  • Prevent the registration of any total-loss salvageable vehicle unless it has been rebuilt to approved standards using approved techniques.
  • Prevent the registration of stolen vehicles.
  • Provide consumers with additional information needed to make a buying decision.

Four statuses

The SWVMP identifies potentially unsafe write-offs and stolen vehicles and prevents them from being registered. All write-offs or stolen vehicles are tracked by their vehicle identification number and assigned a status:

  • Stolen: The vehicle has been reported to police and not yet recovered. A stolen vehicle cannot be registered until police remove the stolen designation.
  • Irreparable: A write-off damaged to such an extent that it has no value except as a source of parts or scrap metal. An irreparable vehicle can never be registered again.
  • Salvageable: A write-off that can be rebuilt. A salvageable vehicle cannot be registered until its status is changed to rebuilt.
  • Rebuilt: A salvageable vehicle that has been repaired to standards and has received both a Body Integrity Inspection Certificate and a Certificate of Inspection.

Before buying a used vehicle, check the vehicle’s status by looking at the Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD) for that vehicle. See additional information on buying a vehicle.

See more information on when your vehicle is written off in a collision claim.

In most cases, a licence plate provides your proof of registration. However, in some situations, a vehicle may require a Temporary Registration Permit or an Interim Registration Permit.

Temporary Registration Permit

A Temporary Registration Permit is a temporary (maximum 30 days every 12 months) registration/insurance policy that authorizes the operation of a vehicle only to move the vehicle into, out of, within or through Manitoba. The permit is valid only in Canada and the continental United States. Motorcycles are eligible for temporary registrations totaling 15 days each calendar year.

To reduce the risk of unsafe vehicles on Manitoba roads, there are limits on Temporary Registration Permits for passenger vehicles:

  • If a vehicle does not require a new Certificate of Inspection (COI), customers are eligible to purchase permits for a maximum of 30 days every 12 months. The 30-days can be spread across a maximum of three separate permits. (For longer periods, short-term insurance and registration are available – see more information here under Short-term Autopac.)
  • If a vehicle does require a new COI, customers are eligible to purchase a maximum of one seven-day permit per vehicle every 12 months. (A second permit of fewer than seven days may be available in certain circumstances – talk to your Autopac agent.) However, a vehicle is ineligible for a seven-day permit if it poses a hazard to people or property on the roadway, if it has a salvage status, or if it is subject to Periodic Mandatory Vehicle Inspection requirements.
  • For annual maximum limits, the 12-month timeline begins on the date that the first permit comes into effect after Jan. 10, 2021.
  • Only legal owners can apply for a Temporary Registration Permit in most situations. Customers with a lease or exclusive-use agreement must have written authorization from the vehicle’s legal owner to purchase a temporary registration permit.
  • Customers who purchase a Temporary Registration Permit will receive a temporary licence plate to display in the rear plate area of their vehicle. These plates are being issued on a trial basis. Note that the permit itself must still be displayed in the lower right corner of the windshield.

Examples of situations where a Temporary Registration Permit may be required:

  • importing a newly acquired vehicle from another jurisdiction, where it was purchased, to a Manitoba destination
  • demonstrating a vehicle for sale
  • moving a vehicle to or from a location that is inside or outside Manitoba

The specified use must be stated on the permit. A Temporary Registration Permit provides temporary registration and Basic Autopac coverage for the period of time specified on the permit. Coverage options, including increased third-party liability, reduced all perils deductibles and enhanced value coverage, are available.

If you are importing a vehicle into Manitoba, it is best to arrange for the permit before you leave Manitoba. See more information about buying a vehicle.


Temporary Registration Permits are available at:

  • MPI Service Centres
  • Autopac agents

Manitoba residents who are MPI customers and are importing a vehicle from another jurisdiction can call us to obtain a Temporary Registration Permit.

You can also download, complete and fax the request for Temporary Registration Permit checklist. Note: It’s important that you call us prior to faxing the checklist so we know you are requesting a permit.

The cost of a permit varies, depending on factors such as the number of days the permit is valid.

Interim Registration Permit

If you have just purchased a vehicle from a dealer, they may sell you an Interim Registration Permit. This permit allows you to drive your newly purchased vehicle for up to seven days before you have to buy licence plates.

A seven-day interim registration permit costs $38.

It’s important to know a vehicle’s complete history before you make your purchase.

Protect yourself

Below are the Top Ten ways to protect yourself and help ensure that you have no costly surprises, and what you’re buying is precisely what you want.

Make sure you are buying from the legal owner.

The registered owner and the legal owner aren’t necessarily the same person.

The legal owner is the individual who actually owns the vehicle. Only he or she can sell it. In most instances, the legal owner is also the registered owner. However, that is not always the case.

Only the legal owner has the right to sell or dispose of the vehicle. You’ll find the legal owner’s name on the right-hand side of the registration card. The registered owner’s name is on the left-hand side of the registration card.

Check the vehicle status.

The Stolen and Wrecked Vehicle Monitoring Program identifies potentially unsafe write-offs and stolen vehicles and prevents them from being registered.

The Stolen and Wrecked Vehicle Monitoring Program identifies potentially unsafe write-offs and stolen vehicles and prevents them from being registered. Ask the owner to show you the Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD) for the vehicle before you buy it. The TOD will indicate if the vehicle was formerly written off and rebuilt, or if it is currently a write off. See information on statuses under the Stolen and Wrecked Vehicle Monitoring Program.

In addition, you can call us with the vehicle’s serial number and we’ll check whether the vehicle has ever been an Autopac write-off. In Winnipeg, call 204-985-7000. Outside Winnipeg, call 1-800-665-2410 toll-free. Note that we can only confirm if a vehicle was written off in Manitoba

Consider purchasing an independent vehicle history report to confirm the vehicle’s history within and outside of Manitoba.

Independent reports can be purchased online for a fee from companies such as CARFAX.

Check for any liens against the vehicle.

You should always check to see if anyone else, other than the legal owner, has a financial interest in the vehicle.

To check for liens against the vehicle, contact:

The Property Registry (Teranet Manitoba)
500-200 Graham Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3C 4L5
Phone: 1-844-737-5684 (toll-free)
Email: [email protected]

You can also check for liens online by visiting the Teranet Manitoba’s website.

Find out whether the vehicle has an anti-theft immobilizer.

If the vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket immobilizer device, be sure you get all of the key fobs, including the red programmable fob or PIN access code from the previous owner. Ask for all documentation that was provided when the device was originally installed as there may be important information about how to care for the immobilizer and get it serviced.

If the vehicle has an approved aftermarket immobilizer installed (Mastergard M6000 and Autowatch 573PPi), these devices come with a lifetime warranty on replacement or repair if found to be defective. If you have an Autowatch 5773PPi, be sure to register as the owner of this device on the Autowatch Canada website. This will help to ensure you have no difficulties in making a warranty claim should you have to do so.

Use our Insurance Rate Calculator to estimate the annual Autopac premium you’ll pay to insure the vehicle after you buy it.

Remember, if you are purchasing a vehicle worth more than $70,000 you will need Excess Value Coverage to protect your full investment. If you’re purchasing a new vehicle, consider buying New Vehicle Protection. And, if you’re leasing a vehicle, make sure you consider Leased Vehicle Protection.

Check for open recalls on the vehicle.

Check for open vehicle safety recalls and confirm with the current vehicle owner that they have been addressed. You can search for open vehicle recalls by vehicle make, model and model year and learn more about vehicle recalls in general on Transport Canada’s website.

Watch out for flood damage.

Flood-damaged vehicles – from Manitoba or that have been brought into Manitoba from across North America – can be dangerous, as water can enter the electronic components, causing corrosion and malfunctioning of important safety features such as airbags. It can also leave behind mould and other toxins.

To identify a flood-damaged vehicle:

  • Check for damp or musty odours.
  • Check for any signs of rust or mud in the trunk, glove box and beneath the seats.
  • Check under the hood and look for a water line marked by mud or silt.

Be in the CLEAR.

The Canadian Loss Experience Automobile Rating (CLEAR) system was developed by the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s Vehicle Information Centre. This centre collects Canada-wide information about vehicles involved in accidents and the costs of the resulting claims.

CLEAR compares claim costs for different vehicles and can help you decide which vehicle is right for you. Their How Cars Measure Up publication outlines the safety features and anti-theft devices on recent model year vehicles, along with the claims experience of the most popular vehicle models on the market. This information can help you make the right call when it comes to purchasing your next vehicle.

Confirm an import’s eligibility.

If you are importing a vehicle from outside Canada, it’s important to check with Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles to ensure the vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada. Here’s more information on importing a vehicle.

Vehicle history

Dealers are required under Manitoba law to fully disclose information pertaining to a vehicle’s history.

A private seller does not have the same requirements to disclose information. You may want to consider having the vehicle inspected by a trusted mechanic before you buy, and purchasing a vehicle history report.

You can purchase a vehicle history report, as outlined in Item #3 in the list above. For more information and tips when purchase privately or from a dealer, please read this important tip sheet from the Consumer Protection Office.

Selling your vehicle

You will need to take several steps when selling your vehicle privately. You and the buyer need to fill out two documents together:

  • The Transfer of Ownership (TOD) document. This document proves to the buyer that you own the vehicle, and will be required when they register the vehicle. The TOD document can be found on the back of the vehicle’s registration.
  • A written bill of sale describing the vehicle’s year, make, model, serial number, and the agreed selling price. Write up two bills of sale, one for each of you, and make sure you and the buyer sign both copies. You can write your own bill of sale, or download our template.

You will also need to either provide the buyer with your valid Certificate of Inspection (COI) or inform them they will need to have the vehicle inspected before they can register and insure it. After the sale is complete, be sure to retain the licence plates and cancel your Autopac coverage on the vehicle.

Off-road vehicle registrations in Manitoba are governed by the Off-Road Vehicles Act.

An off-road vehicle, or ORV, is any wheeled or tracked motorized vehicle designed or adapted to travel cross-country on land, water, ice, snow, marsh, swamp land or other natural terrain.

Snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), dune buggies and dirt bikes are examples of ORVs. Examples of vehicles not considered to be ORVs include a golf cart, a garden or lawn tractor, infrastructure equipment and agricultural equipment.

You don’t automatically get insurance for injuries or for theft or damage to your ORV with basic registration. When you register your snowmobile, ATV or other ORV, you may want to consider additional insurance coverage.

Age requirements

No one under the age of 16 can register an ORV. Persons between 16 and 18 may register if they provide written consent from a parent or legal guardian. When registering, you may be asked to provide an official birth certificate or other acceptable proof of age.

Note that children under the age of 14 are not permitted to operate ORVs unless supervised, accompanied by, and at all times, within clear view of a parent or a person who is at least 18 years old and authorized by the parent.

Plates and certificates

For new registrations, you’ll receive a licence plate in addition to the registration/insurance certificate. The operator must carry the registration/insurance certificate at all times while operating the vehicle.

On snowmobiles, the licence plate should be fastened on the left side in the space between the lower edge of the seat and the running board, as close to the rear of the vehicle as possible. If you wish to ride on designated groomed snowmobile trails in Manitoba, you must purchase a Snowpass, available on a seasonal or seven-day basis. You may obtain one from any Autopac agent or MPI Service Centre.

On ORVs with three or more wheels and on tracked vehicles other than snowmobiles, the licence plate should be fastened in a highly visible location on the rear of the vehicle. For two-wheeled ORVs, the plate should be mounted in a highly visible location on the front of the vehicle.


Registration is not required for:

  • An ORV owned by a resident of another jurisdiction who operates their vehicle in Manitoba must meet the registration and insurance requirements of their home jurisdiction.
  • A motor vehicle registered under The Highway Traffic Act. Under The Highway Traffic Act, Manitoba residents who own or lease vehicles must register any vehicle that operates on a Manitoba roadway. Under The Off-Road Vehicles Act, off-road vehicles, such as a snowmobile, may be required to be registered depending on where the vehicle is operated or the purpose for which it is used.
  • An ORV operated exclusively on property occupied by the vehicle owner.
  • An ORV owned and operated by a commercially-licenced fisherman using the vehicle for commercial purposes or a trapper using the vehicle in a registered trapline district or special trapping area.
  • An ORV owned and operated on behalf of the Department of National Defence and bears a number plate or other identification issued by that department.
  • An ORV owned by, or in possession of, a dealer and bears an ORV dealer’s plate.
  • An ORV owned by a resident of a remote community while the vehicle is operated in the remote community.

Transfer of ownership

When ownership is transferred, the registration and insurance automatically expire.

If the original registered owner acquires another ORV within seven days of transferring ownership, they may transfer the original plate to the newly acquired vehicle after paying a transfer fee. An additional insurance premium may also apply.

A Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD) is part of your registration certificate. Individuals who buy vehicles privately should obtain the TOD from the seller.

At the time a vehicle is sold, the seller signs the document over to the buyer and fills in the odometer reading. It’s important for the buyer to check that the serial number (also called Vehicle Identification Number or VIN) is the same on the TOD, the bill of sale and the vehicle itself.

ORV dealers do not provide TODs. If you buy a new or used ORV from a dealer, you will receive your TOD when you register the vehicle.

See more information on TODs.


If you wish to ride your snowmobile on designated trails in Manitoba maintained by Snoman Inc., by law you must have a valid Snopass and display a Snopass licence plate.

Your Snopass fee helps to enhance recreational snowmobiling across Manitoba, as it supports the local Snoman member clubs that groom and maintain more than 12,000 kilometres of designated trails across Manitoba.

You can choose from these Snopasses to meet your needs:

  • For Manitoba residents: Regular Snopass licence plate – valid for five-years, paid annually. (Cost: $150/year). Available anywhere Autopac is sold.
  • For non-Manitoba residents: Annual Snopass sticker – valid for one riding season. (Cost: $150). Available anywhere Autopac is sold.
  • For casual riders: Three-day or seven-day Snopass – valid for three or seven days, can be purchased at any time during the riding season. Available online from the Manitoba elicensing website.

Please note that Manitoba Snopasses also entitle you to ride on designated trails in Saskatchewan.

Snopasses are for the snowmobile, not the owner, so you must purchase one Snopass for each machine. Manitoba Conservation and the RCMP patrol the trails regularly and the fine for riding on designated trails without a valid Snopass is over $400.

Snopasses are not mandatory. However, if you don’t buy a Snopass when you register your snowmobile, you will be asked to sign a form indicating you declined the Snopass and declare that you will not travel on designated Snoman Inc. trails.

If you purchase a new snowmobile you can transfer the Snopass from your old snowmobile only if you transfer the licence plate and insurance from your old snowmobile as well.

Purchasing and renewing

Regular annual Snopasses and non-resident Snopasses can be purchased year-round anywhere Autopac is sold. Three-day and seven-day Snopasses are available online from the Manitoba elicensing website.

Regular Snopasses are valid for as long as your snowmobile policy is valid. You pay for it each year at the same time you pay for your insurance and registration on your snowmobile. If your anniversary date falls within the riding season and you purchase a Snopass before then, that Snopass is only valid up to your anniversary date. For example, if you purchase a Snopass on Dec. 1 and your anniversary date is Jan. 9, that Snopass is only valid up to Jan. 9. If you want to continue to use the trails after that, you will have to renew your Snopass along with your policy that takes effect on Jan. 9.

If you do need to purchase two Snopasses within the same riding season, you will receive a credit for the unused portion of the original Snopass.


When a Snopass is cancelled (or the snowmobile policy is cancelled), the plate must be surrendered or the transaction cannot be completed.

For a customer with an anniversary date outside of the riding season, a full refund will only be issued if one of the following is true:

  • The snowmobile policy is cancelled before the first day of the riding season (December 1).
  • The Snopass is cancelled before the first day of the riding season.

For a customer with an anniversary date in the riding season, a full refund will only be issued if:

  • The customer renews their policy in advance, pays in full, and cancels before their anniversary date.

Outside of the indicated scenarios above, a refund will not be issued by Manitoba Public Insurance or Snoman.

Out of province

If you are not a Manitoba resident you still must purchase a Snopass to ride the trails in Manitoba. You can purchase either an annual Snopass or a seven-day Snopass. You must show proof of ownership and a valid registration from another jurisdiction that includes a minimum of $500,000 third-party liability coverage. An annual Snopass allows you to ride on designated trails until April 30.

Open a Claim