Reporting a vehicle collision claim

On this page
Sur cette page

If you’ve been in a collision, your first course of action is to ensure your safety and the safety of any others who may have been involved. When it’s safe, move your vehicle over to the right side of the road, so that other traffic can pass.

Effective July 1, 2021, we have new designated MPI towing providers in Winnipeg (Champion Towing) and Brandon (Full Tilt Towing). Go to the ‘Towing your damaged vehicle’ section below for more information.

The next step is to exchange information with the other party (or parties). Use the accident report form as a guide for all the information you’ll need for your report. Then, report the collision to us as promptly as you can.

Even if you have no damage from the collision, you should still report to us. To understand fully how the collision happened and to assess it properly, we need reports from all the drivers involved.


To report your collision, use our online claim reporting form or call us:

  • in Winnipeg: 204-985–7000
  • outside Winnipeg (and outside Manitoba): toll-free 1-800-665-2410

When reporting the collision, you’ll need this information:

  • your vehicle registration and the driver’s licence of whoever was driving your vehicle
  • the details about the accident (where, when and how it happened)
  • the details about any other vehicles and drivers involved
  • information about any witnesses

If you’re claiming damage, our representative will take a preliminary report from you. Your options for a damage estimate will be discussed with you.

If your vehicle has been damaged from something other than a collision, please see information about reporting a comprehensive claim.

You may be asked to complete a Driver’s Report to provide details of the collision and damages. Please refer to this sample document for assistance.

The role of your adjuster

After you have reported your vehicle claim, an adjuster will be assigned to your file. The adjuster investigates the claim, makes sure you had proper Autopac coverage, and determines who was at fault for the collision. Your adjuster can also help you understand how the claims process works and can explain the repair and appeal options available to you.

Out-of-province claims

If you are in a collision while travelling outside Manitoba, there are some special steps you need to take since the other vehicle involved in the collision is probably registered and insured in another jurisdiction. Here's what to do:

1. Stay at the scene.

2. Don't discuss responsibility.

3. Obtain the:

  • names and addresses of drivers and vehicle owners
  • make/model/year of all vehicles involved
  • license plate numbers, along with province or state
  • other parties' insurance information, including the insurer and policy number
  • names of any witnesses, their addresses, phone numbers, etc.
  • collision details (date, time, weather, positions of vehicles before and after the collision)

4. Take photos of the place where the accident or damage occurred, along with pictures of any damage or skid marks.

5. Prior to any repairs (whether temporary or complete repairs) on your vehicle, you require pre-authorization from MPI. Call us toll free at 1-800-665-2410 to report your claim. Claims can be made Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CST, and Saturday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CST.

6. Keep all your bills and receipts for medical, repair or medical services needed because of the accident. You must provide them to your Autopac adjuster to support your damage claim.

7. If your vehicle is not drivable, and you need to arrange a tow, you have two options:

  • Contact ELC Solutions Inc. at 1-888-460-8697. They will make arrangements to tow your vehicle and communicate all towing details to MPI directly.
  • Contact a local towing company to make arrangements. Be sure to ask where they will be taking your car as MPI will request this information from you.

8. Review your policy to see if you are eligible to be reimbursed for the cost of a vehicle rental. See information on Loss of Use coverage, and note that coverage limits are in Canadian dollars.

9. Call local police, and ask for a copy of their report.

Hit and Run Claims

When your vehicle has been involved in a hit-and-run collision, you must report the incident to Manitoba Public Insurance as well as the local police where the collision occurred. The procedure will vary depending on location.

Hit-and-run claims in Winnipeg

There are two ways to report a hit-and-run claim in Winnipeg.

If you are reporting a hit-and-run for the following situations, please submit your report to the Winnipeg Police Service using their online reporting form:

  • Unoccupied vehicle
  • You do not know who is responsible
  • You have a suspect licence plate number

If your vehicle was occupied at the time of the collision or you know who is responsible, please call the Winnipeg Police Service at 204-986-6222.

Next, call 204-985-7000 to book an appointment at one of the following MPI locations:

  • Bison Drive Service Centre: 15 Barnes Street
  • Gateway Road Service Centre: 40 Lexington Park
  • Main Street Service Centre
  • St. Mary’s Road Service Centre (French estimates only)

Hit-and-run claims outside Winnipeg

Prior to making an Autopac claim, hit-and-run collisions occurring outside Winnipeg must be reported to local police in the jurisdiction where the collision occurred. If you want us to handle your claim in Winnipeg, call us at 204-985-7000. If you would like your claim handled at one of our offices outside of Winnipeg, call our toll-free number at 1-800-665-2410.

Notifying the police after a collision

When you call us to file your claim, we will help you determine if you must also report your collision to the police.

There's no need to report a straightforward fender-bender to the police. But if your collision involves any of these things, you must report it the police:

  • fatality
  • hospitalization because of injury
  • an unlicensed driver or unregistered vehicle
  • an unidentified vehicle (e.g., hit and run)
  • you failed to get the other driver's particulars
  • you suspect the other driver was under the influence of alcohol or drugs

You must report these types of collisions to the police within seven days. All reports can be made in-person, and reports about incidents occurring in Winnipeg can be made online. Hit-and-run reports must be made in person.

Vehicle damage resulting from suspected vandalism, attempted theft and theft must also be reported to the police. You must report vandalism, theft or attempted theft as soon as reasonably possible.

The police and Manitoba Public Insurance have entirely different responsibilities. The police are primarily interested in whether both drivers obeyed criminal and traffic laws. We need the information to assess who was at fault and to confirm both drivers met the conditions of their insurance policy.

Towing your damaged vehicle

If your vehicle can’t be driven from the scene of a collision because of damage, you’ll need to have it towed. If the collision occurred in Winnipeg, we will assist you by arranging a tow with Champion Towing directly to our compound. Simply call 204-985-7000 and provide us with the details of the collision.

If we happen to be closed, we have a contract towing service you can use in Winnipeg and Brandon.

You can call Champion Towing in Winnipeg at 204-985-7777.

For towing in Brandon, call Full Tilt Towing at 204-729-9510.

For towing outside Winnipeg and Brandon, but within Manitoba, call 1-800-665-2410. If we’re closed and your vehicle isn’t drivable, you can arrange your own towing. To locate a towing facility, please use the Towing and Storage Search Tool located here. Your vehicle should be towed to the closest storage facility.

It is important to choose a vendor that is listed on MPI’s Towing and Storage Tool to ensure that your services will be fully paid by your Autopac coverage. If you choose a towing or storage provider that is not listed on the tool, you will be responsible for paying the vendor directly for their services. Please talk to your adjuster about possible reimbursement of any towing and storage fees.  

Outside Manitoba, contact ELC Solutions Inc. at 1-888-460-8697. They will make arrangements to tow your vehicle and communicate all towing details to MPI directly.

Please note: Towing and storage providers that are not listed on MPI’s Towing and Storage Tool may charge more than what MPI will reimburse through your coverage. To avoid any additional charges not covered by your insurance, it is recommended that you discuss all fees prior to agreeing to any services.

Don’t repair damage before we’ve seen it! Except for temporary or emergency repairs to keep your vehicle mobile or to prevent further damage, you shouldn’t repair your vehicle before we’ve inspected the damage.

Replacement transportation

Basic Autopac covers replacement transportation in two situations:

1. When your vehicle is stolen. Your Basic Autopac insurance covers replacement transportation after a 72-hour waiting period.

2. When another Autopac-insured driver was at fault for damaging your vehicle in a collision.

For greater protection, you can purchase additional Loss of Use insurance.

Commercial Claims

Our Commercial Claims department handles losses involving heavy vehicles and specialized equipment.

Examples of the types of vehicles adjusted at Commercial Claims include:

  • highway tractor over 9,000 kgs/ semi-trailers
  • buses
  • vehicles with primary insurance coverage under Special Risk Extension
  • trucks with specialized equipment (cement mixers, garbage packers, cherry pickers, etc.)

All heavy and specialized vehicles are handled through the Commercial Claims, so the adjusters are familiar with the various types of equipment and the policies they require.

Call us to report a claim

  • In Winnipeg: 204-985-7000
  • Outside Winnipeg and out-of-province (toll-free): 1-800-665-2410

Telephone line is open

  • Monday to Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
  • Saturday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Sunday: Closed

For a commercial emergency situation outside of regular hours, call the above number and select “2” to reach our after-hours commercial response team.