What's not covered with your insurance

On this page
Sur cette page

Your insurance covers many situations, but not all. It’s important to know what is not covered under your policy, and in what situations coverage may be denied.

Basic all-perils

Basic all-perils coverage insures your vehicle and any permanently attached equipment against accidental loss or damage in Canada or the U.S. You pay the deductible and any depreciation – your Autopac coverage pays the rest. All perils coverage includes coverage for collision and upset. It also covers accidental damage other than from collisions, including vandalism, theft, flooding, hail, storms, fire and explosions.

All perils coverage does not cover:

  • the contents of any vehicle or trailer, such as tools, clothing or a camera
  • loss or damage caused by:
    — mechanical failure or the breakdown of any part
    — rusting, corrosion, freezing, or explosion within the combustion chamber, unless the damage was caused by something that your Autopac covers, such as collision, fire, theft or vandalism
  • tires, unless the damage is from a crash, fire, theft or vandalism (not simple road punctures)
  • tapes, CDs and equipment separate from the tape/CD player installed in the vehicle
  • loss or damage to a slide-in camper unit equipped with living accommodations which is mounted on or is off the vehicle
  • loss or damage caused by the theft of the vehicle if the person who stole it lives in the same home or is an employee of the insured person
  • loss or damage from people either stealing, or improperly taking ownership of a vehicle through a conditional sales contract, lease or similar agreement
  • automobiles registered as antiques
  • semi-trailers
  • vehicles operated under a Single Trip Registration Permit
  • loss or damage resulting, directly or indirectly, from a nuclear energy hazard
  • loss or damage from acts of war or terrorism
  • loss or damage if you gave away your vehicle voluntarily
  • loss or damage to: Government of Canada vehicles, vehicles owned by other countries, or any fire department vehicles owned by any government or municipality
  • loss or damage over $1,000 to non-factory installed sound and electronic communications equipment, permanently attached to your vehicle

Vehicles not covered by all perils

Some vehicles don't have all perils coverage through Autopac. These vehicles are:

  1. Common carrier buses.
  2. Trucks and truck tractors with a gross vehicle weight over 16,330 kg, except drive-away units, farm trucks, fisherman's trucks, and dealer-plated s and repairer-plated* vehicles.
  3. Regulated vehicles not for compensation with a gross vehicle weight over 5,499 kg and regulated vehicles for compensation of any gross weight, operated more than 161 km outside Manitoba.
  4. City of Winnipeg transit buses.

These vehicles may qualify for special risk protection through Manitoba Public Insurance or other insurers. Semi-trailers with lifetime licence plates have no coverage at all through Autopac.

*collision or upset only

Denial of all perils coverage

To ensure your all perils coverage is valid, you must follow the conditions of your policy.

Under the Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) Program, you need to be especially cautious lending your vehicle to any new driver. Anyone in the GDL Program who breaks the rules of the program is not authorized by law to drive. Your Autopac won’t cover you if you lend your vehicle to any driver who isn’t authorized by law to drive. Find out more about the rules for drivers in the GDL program.

Your all perils coverage may be refused if the damage or loss occurred when:

  • Someone was driving without being qualified and authorized by law to drive (for example, an unlicensed driver).
  • Someone was driving the vehicle with a suspended driver’s licence or couldn’t drive because of a court order.
  • Someone under 16 was driving the vehicle without holding a valid learner’s permit or wasn’t following its rules.
  • The driver was under the influence of intoxicants and therefore couldn’t keep proper control of the vehicle.
  • The driver was impaired.
  • The vehicle was being used for an illegal trade or to transport items against the law (for example, the vehicle was being used to smuggle cigarettes or to carry explosives without proper identification and safety precautions).
  • The vehicle was in a speed test or motor race.
  • An unregistered trailer was attached to the vehicle when the law requires the trailer to be registered.
  • The collision occurred when fleeing from the police.
  • The vehicle was being used for something prohibited by The Highway Traffic Act, The Drivers and Vehicles Act, or a vehicle-for-hire bylaw of a municipality.
  • The vehicle is being used differently than declared on the application for insurance (for example, when you’ve said the vehicle is only being used for pleasure driving when most of the time it’s being used for your business).
  • The person claiming doesn't identify who was driving the vehicle at the time of the loss or damage.
  • The vehicle owner failed to take reasonable precautions to protect the vehicle from rodent damage.
  • Sometimes the vehicle’s owner and driver aren’t the same. In that case, the owner may be entitled to all-perils coverage if he or she didn’t knowingly allow the vehicle to be driven by the person described in all the bullet points above, except the last one.

Third-party liability

Third-party liability coverage doesn't always protect you. To ensure your third-party liability coverage is valid, you must follow the conditions of your policy. You aren't covered:

  • For damage your vehicle causes to property you own or rent or that you have in your care or control (for example, you won't be covered if your car damages your boat parked in your driveway for the winter, although your homeowner's insurance policy may cover the damage).
  • For loss or damage to other people's property in or on your vehicle (for example, a borrowed canoe attached to the roof of your vehicle).
  • For loss or damage occurring through the use of machinery or equipment mounted on or attached to the vehicle while the vehicle is parked at a work site (for example, damage caused by a truck that is parked and spraying insecticide to control mosquitoes).
  • If your vehicle was being driven by someone who’s in the business of repairing, servicing, storing or parking vehicles (for example, a repair shop employee test-driving your car before or after servicing it), or who’s an automobile dealer and that person wasn’t your employee or partner.
  • For loss or damage to your employee who's injured operating or repairing your vehicle.
  • For loss or damage from criminal activity.
  • For liability imposed by any workers' compensation law.
  • For liability for damages from injury, death or damage to property due to a nuclear energy hazard.
  • If you're operating a Government of Canada vehicle.
  • For your own injuries or death – this coverage is for claims others may make against you.
  • If you’re operating a regulated vehicle, not for compensation, with a gross vehicle weight of over 5,499 kg more than 161 km outside of Manitoba, or a regulated vehicle, for compensation, of any gross vehicle weight more than 161 km outside of Manitoba.
  • If you're operating a municipal or other government-owned fire department vehicle.
  • If you're using a Single Trip Registration Permit.
  • For loss or damage caused by a semi-trailer.
  • For liability for damages from injury, death or damage to property from unsanctioned activities or events held on a closed track or location.

See more information about third-party liability coverage, including situations where your coverage can be denied.


The Personal Injury Protection Plan (PIPP) doesn't cover injuries caused by or through:

  • Maintaining, repairing, altering or improving a vehicle.
  • An animal carried in, or on, or forming part of the load of the vehicle. (For example, a pedestrian bitten by a dog in a car is not entitled to PIPP coverage.)
  • A device mounted on or attached to the vehicle, that can be operated independently, if the vehicle was standing still when the accident happened. (For example, a bystander accidentally sprayed by insecticide being applied from a parked truck.)
  • Off-road vehicles – such as snowmobiles, dirt bikes or ATVs – or other non-automobiles such as garden tractors, unless the accident was with a moving automobile.
  • A vehicle that doesn't have to be registered under The Drivers and Vehicles Act, such as motorized mobility aid (electric wheelchairs), agricultural equipment or infrastructure equipment, unless the collision was with a moving automobile.
  • An unsanctioned activity or event held on a closed track or location.
  • The injured person's deliberate actions. In that case, neither the victim nor their dependants receive injury compensation.
  • The deliberate actions of the injured person's dependant. In that case, the dependant isn't entitled to compensation.
  • A trailer detached from an automobile.