Who Should Register

Excluding vehicles used for business in or through Manitoba, you must be a Manitoba resident and at least 16 years of age to register a vehicle in Manitoba. Plus, you’ll need these documents:

  • Proof of vehicle ownership:
  • New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) if applicable (if you're buying a brand new car in the U.S., the document is called a "Certificate of Origin").
  • Bill of sale, with this information:
  • date purchased
  • the vehicle’s model year, make, model and serial number
  • purchase price
  • purchaser’s name(s)
  • seller’s name(s)
  • purchaser’s signature(s)
  • seller’s signature(s)
  • Transfer of Ownership document from previous owner, signed (if you're buying a used car in the U.S., the document is called a "Certificate of Title").
  • Valid COI issued by a Manitoba vehicle inspection station. Some other jurisdictions have a vehicle inspection program similar to Manitoba's. We accept an in-force COI from some other government-approved inspection programs, such as those in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and Quebec. All other provinces, territories and U.S. states are unacceptable.
  • Written consent from your parents or legal guardians, if you’re under 18 years of age.

Registering a vehicle imported to Manitoba?

If imported from the U.S., a Vehicle Import Form with stamped approval from Canada Customs and Transport Canada Safety Inspection Station is required.

To ensure that we register and insure your vehicle accurately, we need the correct Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – sometimes called the serial number.

We use the VIN to accurately describe your vehicle and assess its correct premium. When registering and insuring your vehicle, always verify the VIN on your vehicle documentation against the VIN plate. On most vehicles the VIN plate is on the driver’s side dashboard at the base of the windshield.

Out-of-province students

If you are a full-time student in Manitoba from out-of province, your vehicle does not have to be registered in Manitoba if it is currently registered and insured in another jurisdiction. However, you will need to obtain a student sticker after providing proof that you are a full-time student and have valid vehicle registration and insurance.

For a student sticker to be issued, please provide the following documentation to at any Manitoba Public Insurance Service Centre:

  • A document from your educational institution confirming that you are a full-time student and the beginning and end dates of your study period.
  • A copy of your vehicle registration and insurance card.
  • A payment of $2 is required for the issuance of the sticker.

New Manitoba residents

New residents need to obtain Manitoba registration and insurance within three months of becoming a resident, if the vehicle is a passenger car-type (including vans), or truck with a gross weight, including load, not exceeding 3,700 kilograms. These vehicles may not be used for the commercial transportation of goods and people.

New residents need to obtain Manitoba registration and insurance as soon as possible for all other vehicle types. Until then, your vehicle needs to be properly registered for the current registration year in your previous jurisdiction.

Vehicle registration and insurance need to be purchased together as a vehicle must be both registered and insured in Manitoba. You can obtain both services from any insurance agent displaying an Autopac sign.

Learn more about registration and insurance.