Vehicle safety and inspection programs

Buying and importing

Manitoba’s Consumer Protection Office has compiled a set of tips to ensure you protect yourself when buying a vehicle. There are different requirements for registering a vehicle that you buy in Manitoba and one that you purchase outside of the province.

Buying in Manitoba

  • When you purchase a new non-commercial vehicle from a dealer in Manitoba, you will receive a New Vehicle Information Statement. You will not require a COI or a TOD to register your vehicle. See more information.


If you are importing a vehicle from outside Canada, there are both national and provincial regulations and standards that must be considered. It is important to check with Canada’s Registrar of Imported Vehicles to ensure the vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada.

In some cases, such as a vehicle imported from a country other than the U.S., vehicles that are less than 15 years old will require substantial modifications to qualify for entry into Canada or will simply be prohibited from being imported. If the vehicle is more than 15 years old, it may qualify for importation into Canada without having to be modified to meet Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. However, the vehicle could require significant modifications before it meets the provincial standards necessary to pass a vehicle safety inspection and receive a COI, which is needed to register the vehicle.

Importers should be aware that modifications and replacements parts may be required for items such as:

  • lights and reflectors
  • head lamps, brake lamps (including the centre high mounted brake lamp), tail lamps, side reflex reflectors, side marker lamps
  • daytime running lamps
  • windshield and other glass
  • tires

See more information on importing a vehicle.