Frequently asked questions


Selling a vehicle


Other registration questions


How do I qualify for a discount on my insurance?

Premium discounts depend on your Driver Safety Rating.

How much can I save on my insurance?

Depending on your record of safe driving, you could save between 5 per cent and 33 per cent on your vehicle premium.

On your driver’s licence premium, you could save up to $30 off the full cost of $45.

Why do my friend and I pay different insurance rates when we own exactly the same type of car?

Your rates are determined based on a combination of the following four objective, risk-based factors:

  1. the type of vehicle you drive: Your insurance costs are determined in part by the claims costs associated with the year, make and model of the vehicle you drive. Claim costs may be lower for a car that has more safety and loss prevention features, such as air bags and anti-lock brakes.
  1. where you drive it: Manitoba is divided into four territories for vehicle rating purposes. Each geographic region is identified with varying degrees of risk. The lower the risk, the lower your insurance rates.
  1. what you use it for: Insurance rates differ depending on what you use your vehicle for. That's because what you use your vehicle for affects how likely you are to have a claim. For instance, if you only drive to the grocery store and back (pleasure use), you're less likely to have a claim than if you drive your car regularly back and forth to work (all purpose).
  1. your driving record: If you drive safely – with no at-fault claims, traffic convictions or drug- or alcohol-related administrative suspensions – you save money on your insurance. On the other hand, if you drive unsafely, you pay more.
What is Manitoba Public Insurance's position regarding premium discounts for vehicles installed with after-market anti-theft devices?

Manitoba Public Insurance customers benefit from premium reductions for vehicles that are protected by theft-deterrent systems that meet national standards.

Standard equipment
If your vehicle has a national standards-approved theft-deterrent system installed as standard equipment, your discount is already applied through a reduction in your CLEAR rate group.

After-market systems
For as long as you own your vehicle, you are eligible for an anti-theft device premium discount if your passenger vehicle, motorhome or truck is already equipped with a national standards-approved after-market theft-deterrent system (immobilizer) that is installed by a national standards-approved facility.

The discount for an installed and approved after-market immobilizer is:

  • $40 off your annual Autopac premium if you select the basic $500 deductible, or
  • $45 if you select either the $300, $200 or $100 deductible option.

Factory-installed as optional equipment

You also qualify for the discount if your vehicle is equipped with an optional national standards-approved theft-deterrent system that was factory-installed by the manufacturer. In this case, you need to provide a letter from the vehicle manufacturer confirming the installation when you first insure the vehicle.

Please note that the discount is related only to an already-installed national standards-approved device, either aftermarket or factory-installed, and applies only to the Basic Autopac premium and any applicable deductible buy-down premium. The discounted rate will not be applied to any other extension products or registration fees.

Selling a vehicle

I want to sell my vehicle. Do I have to provide the buyer with a safety certificate?

In a private sale, if you have a valid Certificate of Inspection (COI) in force, the purchaser won't require a new one when they register the vehicle. While the onus is on the purchaser to produce a valid COI to register the vehicle, getting the vehicle inspected might be a good selling feature. Refer to Buying and Selling for more information.

What is a Certificate of Inspection (COI)?

A COI is a document that certifies vehicle safety. An inspector at one of Manitoba's vehicle inspection stations signs a COI after checking that a vehicle meets Manitoba safety standards. Inspectors check brakes, exhaust system, windows, seat belts, tire wear, lights and other safety features.

A safety inspection doesn't include a detailed inspection of the engine or transmission and is not a guarantee of the overall quality of the vehicle. A COI is valid for one year for most types of vehicles. A COI is not needed in the case of a brand new vehicle.

I don't have the Transfer of Ownership document needed to register my vehicle. What can I do?

You should contact the person who sold you the vehicle and fill the document out together. Prior to registering the vehicle, you should also obtain:

  • a valid, in-force Certificate of Inspection (COI)
  • a Bill of Sale (BOS) signed by the seller and the purchaser with the year, make, model and serial number of the vehicle, the price you paid for it and the date you bought it


Which forms of payment can I use?

In person at an Autopac agent or Service Centre, you may pay by cash, cheque, debit, VISA or MasterCard. Pre-authorized payments (the 12 pre-authorized payments option) can be set-up to come out of your bank account.

Online payments can be accepted by VISA or MasterCard. VISA Debit cards, Debit MasterCard cards, American Express Prepaid Debit cards and prepaid credit cards cannot be used. For more information on paying online at with VISA or MasterCard, or paying online or by telephone through your financial institution, visit Electronic payment options.

When making a payment by mail with a cheque or money order, please write your customer number or driver’s licence number on the cheque or money order. If you have more than one policy, please also write the policy number to which you’re directing the payment on your cheque or money order. Please ensure you mail the payment early enough for us to receive it on time.

What’s the easiest way for me to pay my driver’s licence and insurance in instalments?

The easiest way is to choose pre-authorized monthly payments, processed through your financial institution. Interest and a small fee apply. Once these payments are set up, all you need to do is make sure your account has enough money to cover them. The money is withdrawn automatically.

You can also choose a four-payment plan at by VISA or MasterCard, or online or by telephone through your financial institution.

Please note that credit cards, VISA Debit, Debit MasterCard, American Express Prepaid Debit and prepaid credit cards cannot be used for pre-authorized payments.

What happens if I am late or miss a payment?

Under the four-payment plan, a penalty of $20 applies for each late payment, on each insured vehicle. Under the 12-payment plan, a $20 penalty applies on each defaulted withdrawal. We charge interest on late payments.

Missing a payment may lead to your registration and insurance being suspended. Serious consequences can result from driving a vehicle with suspended registration and insurance. We take action right away if we don't receive a payment from you on time, if one of your monthly payments defaults or if we can't cash your cheque. We'll send you a notice warning you that we'll suspend your insurance coverage and/or your driver's licence if we don't receive your payment by a specific day. Even if you haven't received a notice from us, Section 92 of The Drivers and Vehicle Act gives us the right to suspend your insurance and/or driver's licence when you haven't paid on time.

If we suspend your insurance and/or driver's licence because you’ve missed a payment, you can’t pay by instalments until your next anniversary day. If you’re suspended for a second missed payment within three years, you can’t pay by instalments until one year after your next anniversary day.

How do I know when my payments are due?

Each year, we’ll notify you by mail, telling you when your payments are due. If you’ve moved, remember to change your address at an Autopac agent immediately to help ensure you receive your reminders about your payments. If you don't receive your statement, it's still up to you to keep track of your due dates and to pay on time.

If you’re on the four-payment plan, your payments are due in a 2-5-8 pattern, as follows:

First payment:

on your anniversary day

Second payment:

2 months after your anniversary day

Third payment:

5 months after your anniversary day

Fourth and final payment for the year:

8 months after your anniversary day

Your anniversary day is the day four months after your birthday.

If you're on the 12-payment plan, you pick the automatic withdrawal date when you set up the agreement. We'll then take the payment by direct withdrawal on the same day each month - in equal instalments.

If you mail your payment, please note that you're responsible if it arrives late or doesn't arrive at all. Make sure you send the cheque a few weeks ahead of time to avoid late fees, as we must receive the cheque on or before the date it's due.

How does the withdrawal schedule work on the 12-payment plan?

After the first month, you’ll have one monthly withdrawal. For the first month though, if your withdrawal date and your anniversary date differ, we’ll withdraw two payments from your account in the first month. If they’re the same, we’ll withdraw just one payment in the first month. You’ll get a payment schedule of your withdrawal dates and amounts. It’s your responsibility to ensure your account has enough money to cover each withdrawal. Also, if your banking information changes, please report this to an Autopac agent immediately to avoid dishonoured payments.

You can also change your withdrawal date during your policy term. But, if you change your date, you may have two withdrawals within the first month after the change. Withdrawal dates cannot be more than 30 days apart. Ask an Autopac agent for details before you make this change.

Please remember, if you cancel a policy on the same day as one of your withdrawals, the full withdrawal will still occur. Cancelling your policy at least one day before your withdrawal date ensures any future withdrawals are either cancelled or adjusted. And remember, you may still owe money on the financing agreement after cancelling your policy.

Please note: If you are using 12 pre-authorized payments to pay for an account item, your payment is already set up to be automatically withdrawn and you are not eligible to make an online credit card payment for that item.

Other registration questions

How can I make changes to my Autopac policy?

To make changes or additions to your existing Autopac policy (ie. increasing your third-party liability coverage, changing to lay-up coverage, changing from all-purpose to pleasure coverage) please visit an Autopac agent or a Manitoba Public Insurance location.

Why is basic Autopac compulsory?

In the late 1960s, the Manitoba government decided the private sector had failed to provide Manitobans with adequate, affordable automobile insurance and passed legislation to create a Crown Corporation to provide basic compulsory automobile insurance. This decision was spurred by the recommendations of a government-led task force (the Manitoba Automobile Insurance Committee), established to investigate the auto insurance business in the province.

The fact that the plan is compulsory provides Manitoba motorists with the following benefits:

  • All motorists are automatically guaranteed access to coverage – no one is denied the right to insure their vehicle as long as they are eligible to register the vehicle for use on the roadway.
  • Just as important is the provision that everyone injured by automobiles has guaranteed access to compensation.
  • And by getting into the auto insurance business, with the inherent need to keep rates as low as possible, the government is more motivated to take a lead role in traffic safety and to pursue progressive traffic safety legislation.
What is the shortest length of insurance policy that I can get?

You can get short-term Autopac coverage and vehicle registration for as short as 30 days or as long as 244 days. The same rules for registration apply--for example, you must be a Manitoba resident. And, like Autopac, short-term policies offer you a full choice of basic and extension coverage options.

See Short-Term Autopac for more information.

What is the difference between the legal owner and the registered owner?

For your insurance to be valid, the registered owner must be correctly identified on your insurance certificate. The legal owner actually owns the vehicle. Because the legal owner owns the vehicle, only the legal owner can sell it.

The registered owner is someone who has exclusive use of the vehicle. They keep the vehicle, look after it and control who drives it, but don't necessarily own it. If more than one person has exclusive use, only one person may act as the registered owner (spouses sharing a vehicle, for example.) The registered owner can't sell the vehicle unless they are also the legal owner.

I am new to the province. How long do I have to register and insure my vehicle in Manitoba?

You have three months to register and insure your vehicle when it's a privately owned, non-commercially used passenger vehicle or a truck with a gross vehicle weight of 3,700 kg or less. All other vehicles must be registered immediately. You'll also have to register your vehicle before the three months is up if your registration and insurance from the place you left expires during that time.
Need to know more? See New to or Leaving Manitoba.

If I don’t need my insurance anymore can I just stop paying my instalments?

No. If you don’t need your insurance anymore, you must go to an Autopac agent and cancel it. Otherwise, your coverage continues until it’s suspended for non-payment.

Then, you’ll be responsible for late fees and other costs before you can renew your driver’s licence and vehicle insurance. You also will lose the privilege of choosing the four-payment plan for a year or more.