Driver Licensing


You are able to renew your licence, provide changes and have your photo taken at any Autopac agent.

If you are applying for your first driver’s licence, renewing or are moving to Manitoba, your Autopac agent will be happy to help you.

If you have held a driver’s licence in another country, we require certain information so we can determine the Class and Stage of licence you should hold in Manitoba.

If you want a driver’s licence you can use to cross the U.S. border by land or water, consider an Enhanced Driver’s Licence.

First driver's licence

To obtain your first driver's licence, you must be at least 16 years old, or 15-1/2 if you are enrolled in the High School Driver Education program. If you are not in Driver Education you should:

  • Visit an Autopac agent with your identity documents and register as a Manitoba Public Insurance customer. You must meet identity requirements.
  • The agent will provide you with a document – called a change particulars document – you will need to take the knowledge test that you must pass before you get a Learner’s licence.

Later, you will also have to pass a road test. If you are successful in both, you will be on your way to earning full driving privileges.

Your driver’s licence is made up of two costs:

  • $20 fixed fee
  • $45 base driver premium

If you keep driving safely, your licence will cost less over time. You can save up to $30.

All new drivers should consider taking lessons from a driving school with a valid permit.

Under Manitoba’s Graduated Driver Licensing program, you will be given a Learner’s licence after you pass the knowledge test, for a minimum of nine months. This is followed by an Intermediate licence after you pass the road test, issued for a minimum of 15 months. After that comes a Full driver’s licence.

Each stage puts specific restrictions on the new driver to encourage good, safe driving. The GDL program does not discriminate by age, gender or geographic location.

Your photo and more

A key part of your licence is your photograph. So, when you get your first licence, you need to get your picture taken at any Autopac agent or at one of our Service Centre locations.

Your driver’s licence also shows what class of licence you have, and what stage of GDL you’re in.

A number from 1 to 6 shows the Class of licence you have.

One or more of the following letters shows the stage of GDL you’re in:

  • L – Learner
  • I – Intermediate
  • F – Full
  • A – Authorized Instruction
  • M – Motorcycle Training Course only

Driver's licence restrictions

A driver's licence restriction is a limitation that may be placed on a driver’s licence. You must comply with any restrictions when you are operating a motor vehicle. Any driver’s licence restrictions you may have will be displayed on the back of your licence.

The possible restrictions/codes are shown in the table below:

Driver Licence Restriction/Code Table



Corrective Lenses


Power Steering


Maximum Speed of 70 km/h


Automatic Transmission


Daytime Only


Power Brakes


Hand Controls


Operate Mopeds Only


Side Mirrors


Commercial Class – Canada Only


Driver’s Licence Addendum


Driver's licence addendum

A driver's licence addendum is required when a driver has conditions on his or her licence, and these conditions and their descriptions exceed the print space on the licence. If you have been issued a driver's licence addendum it must be carried with your driver's licence (temporary or permanent) at all times by law.

Donor Card

Organ and tissue donation saves lives. If you want to record your intent to donate organs and tissue, please register at – Manitoba’s online organ and tissue registry.

The blue paper cards are no longer an option. The best way to register your intent to donate is through the Sign Up For Life website. Registering online ensures your decision will be made available to your loved ones if that information is ever needed.

The information provided to the registry is only accessed by Manitoba’s three Human Tissue Gift Agencies when donation becomes an option. If a donation opportunity presents, the Gift of Life team will check the registry to see if the person has registered to be an organ and tissue donor.

If you have any questions about organ or tissue donation to the FAQs section on

Lost or stolen driver’s licences

If your driver’s licence has been lost or stolen, replace it as soon as possible at your nearest Autopac agent or Service Centre. You will need to have your photo taken and, if possible, please provide another form of identification (e.g., birth certificate, vehicle registration card, Manitoba Health card, citizenship card or passport). A temporary paper licence will be issued to you the same day and the permanent driver’s licence card will be mailed to you in approximately 10 – 12 days. Discard the temporary paper copy once you receive the permanent card.

Replacement costs

If your driver’s licence has been stolen and you report it to the police, you will receive a police incident number. There will be no charge to replace your driver’s licence if you provide this number to the Autopac agent or Service Centre.

If you’ve lost your driver’s licence, there will be a $10 replacement charge ($15 for an Enhanced Driver’s Licence) that must be paid at the Autopac agent or Service Centre when you request a replacement licence.

Change of name or address

You are required to report changes in your name or address in person within 15 days to your Autopac agent or any Manitoba Public Insurance Service Centre. At that time, a new photo will be taken.

For more information, visit or call your Autopac agent, or contact Manitoba Public Insurance at 204-985-7000 in the Winnipeg calling area or toll-free at 1-800-665-2410.

Illegal use of driver’s licences

You may be fined and your driver’s licence suspended if you misuse a driver’s licence. Examples of misuse include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • allowing someone else to use your driver’s licence
  • misrepresenting yourself when applying for a driver’s licence
  • using an outdated or otherwise invalid licence
  • altering, in any way, a registration card, a licence, a motor vehicle liability insurance card or a certificate of insurance
  • providing false identification when applying for a driver’s licence or permit
  • holding more than one valid driver’s licence at any time

24-hour cancellation policy

If you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment, you must notify Manitoba Public Insurance at least 24 hours in advance by calling 204-985-7000 or 1-800-665-2410 to avoid forfeiting the appointment fee. Some brokers may work extended hours - outside of Manitoba Public Insurance operating hours, you can try contacting a broker to cancel or reschedule.

Manitoba driver's licence card features

Please note: The Manitoba one-piece driver’s licence cannot be used to cross the U.S. border. If you are seeking a licence to drive that you can also use to cross the U.S. border (by land or water only), the Manitoba Enhanced Driver’s Licence (EDL) is the right choice for you.