Appeal Fault in Collision Claims

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your Autopac claim, the first thing to do is talk to your adjuster or your adjuster's supervisor about it. Make sure you understand why they assessed the claim the way they did. If you think they should reconsider the assessment, explain why you think they should.

You can also ask the Service/Claim Centre manager to review your file. If you still have concerns over the decision, discuss your claim with one of the Customer Relations officers. They can be reached through our Contact Centre at 204-985-7000.

If you're still not satisfied, you can pursue a formal appeal through a Liability Review or Small Claims Court (Collision Claims).