Driver Licensing

Foreign Driver’s Licence Information Requirements

If you have held a driver’s licence in another country, we require certain information so we can determine the Class and Stage of licence you should hold in Manitoba. In addition to the following information you also need to meet our Identity Requirements.

First, check your existing driver’s licence for this information:

  • Your full name and birth date
  • the country and licensing authority that issued your licence
  • your class or type of licence, and a description of the type of vehicles you’re allowed to drive
  • when your licence expires
  • how long you’ve had your licence (including the date it was first issued, if you’ve had your licence for less than three years).

If any of this information is missing, you’ll need to get a letter confirming the information from the organization that issued your licence.

We need your driver’s licence information in either English or French. If it’s in another language, you’ll need to have it translated.

If you have an International Driving Permit, you don’t need to have your licence translated.

We need your original documents and the translations into English or French.

Translations will be accepted from:

  • any translation service listed in the Yellow Pages or Yellow Pages Web Site under Translation and Interpreters
  • any translator registered with the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Manitoba (ATIM) (; or
  • an Embassy or Consulate, on official letterhead or in the form of an International Permit issued in the home country, if applicable.

For more information, please call us at 204-985-7000.