Temporary foreign workers

On this page
Sur cette page

Most major browsers support translation. Use a search engine to find instructions on how to enable this feature.

Coming to work in Manitoba?

Welcome to Manitoba!

Manitoba licensing laws require that non-residents obtain a Manitoba driver’s licence to continue driving in Manitoba three months after their arrival in the province. After arriving here, you will need to switch your valid licence to a Manitoba driver’s licence, so it is best to start this process as soon as possible.

Temporary foreign agricultural workers, including agricultural exchange students, must obtain a Manitoba licence to drive in Manitoba after three months. Workers from reciprocal jurisdictions are exempt from testing, but must exchange their foreign licence for a Manitoba licence to continue to drive after three months. Workers from jurisdictions where Manitoba does not have reciprocal arrangements to exchange driver’s licences (i.e., non-reciprocal jurisdictions) must pass Manitoba’s knowledge and road tests and exchange their foreign licence for the Manitoba licence.

Manitoba law does not permit drivers to hold more than one licence at a time. Since both reciprocal and non-reciprocal workers are in Manitoba on a seasonal basis, exchanged foreign licences will be retained and returned to workers when they leave Manitoba.

Apply for a Manitoba driver’s licence

To apply, you must be set up as a customer. You can do this by visiting any service centre or Autopac agent in Manitoba.

You must bring original documentation to prove your identity, residency in Manitoba and entitlement to be in Canada. Please bring your foreign passport, your work permit and any two of the following documents showing your name and Manitoba address and that are dated within 90 days of applying :

  • Employment Confirmation Letter
  • Residential Lease
  • Canadian bank monthly statement/cancelled or voided cheque
  • Utility bill (cell phone bill not accepted)
  • Manitoba Health Card
  • Guarantor Form

Once setup has been completed, and the identity documents provided, you can book your knowledge and road test appointments.

  • To ensure you can take your road test within the three month window, please request that your road test time is booked at the same time as your knowledge test. Knowledge and road tests can be taken on different days, if you prefer, but bookings should be completed as soon as possible.
  • The knowledge test can be written in 30 different languages. Specify your language preference and any special needs when booking.

Your road test

  • Plan to arrive at the service centre at least 30 minutes prior to the start of your road test. This will allow time to exchange your foreign licence (with translation if the licence is not in English or French) for the Manitoba Class 5 Authorized licence. A Manitoba licence is required to take the road test.
  • When you pass the road test, a Class 5 Full 45-day temporary licence will be issued and the permanent driver’s licence will be mailed to you. Once you pass the Class 5 road test, you do not need to retest upon returning to Manitoba unless your Manitoba licence has lapsed for more than four years.
  • If you do not pass the road test, you will retain your Class 5 Authorized licence. You must be accompanied by a supervising driver when driving until you can pass your road test.

Your licence

  • You can request that MPI retain your exchanged foreign licence while you are in Manitoba. Your licence will be stored at the service centre that issued/reactivated your Manitoba licence.
  • Prior to leaving Manitoba, MPI will return your foreign licence to you.
  • If you return to Manitoba the following year, you will need to reactivate your Manitoba licence.


Payment for your licence is due at the time the temporary licence is issued. The basic annual licensing fee is $65. This amount may be adjusted in future years depending on your driving record.

The portion of the $65 annual fee payable for your licence is affected by your anniversary date. Your anniversary date is your birthdate plus four months. For example, if your birthdate is March 10, your anniversary date will be July 10.

If your anniversary date occurs when you are in Manitoba:

  • You will pay an initial licensing fee based on the number of days between the date you received your licence and your anniversary date.
  • In addition, you will receive a Reassessment Notice requesting payment for your driver’s licence for the next year. You will need to pay the full amount on the notice. MPI will later refund you a portion of this amount based on the days you were not living in Manitoba. If you do not pay this full amount, your licence will be suspended for non-payment.
  • Driver’s licence payments can be made at a Service Centre, an Autopac Agent, or online.

If your anniversary date occurs while you are outside of Manitoba:

  • You will pay an initial licensing fee based on the days between receiving your licence and your anniversary date.

Additional information

For additional information on documents that can help establish your identity, visit our Proving My Identity tool.

See more information on the knowledge test and road test. Prepare for your knowledge test with driving quizzes. See the Driver’s Handbook.


If your licence or driving record is in a language other than English or French, you will need to translate your documents.

Official Translation will be accepted from:

  • Any translation service provider in the yellow pages of Manitoba.
  • Any translator registered with the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Manitoba (ATIM) atim.mb.ca.
  • An Embassy or Consulate, on official letter head.
  • An International Licence issued in the home country – if applicable.

Note: You must also produce your original driver’s licence with the translated documents.

For full information, see Translations on the Establishing Your Identity page.


Employers are encouraged to reach out to their local MPI Service Centre to discuss capacity planning for testing.