Leaving Manitoba

On this page
Sur cette page

Before you move

Check the vehicle registration and insurance, and the driver licensing rules in your new jurisdiction, even if your vehicle stays in Manitoba.

You may have to register and insure your vehicle and/or obtain a driver’s licence shortly after you arrive. It is your responsibility to ensure you comply with the rules in your new jurisdiction.

Request for letters and abstracts

Your new insurer may ask you for a written record of your claims experience and/or driver abstract in Manitoba. Please see information on Driver Abstracts and Claims Experience Letters.

Driver’s licence and Autopac coverage

If you are in a reassessment year or are paying by 12 or four payments, you must continue your payments unless you cancel your driver’s licence or policy.

Simply stopping payment with your financial institution or not paying an installment does not cancel your registration, insurance or driver’s licence. This may result in the suspension of your driving privileges in Manitoba and potentially your driver’s licence in your new jurisdiction.


Once you have obtained a driver’s licence and registered your vehicle outside of Manitoba, send a copy of your new licence and vehicle registration documents with a signed letter requesting we cancel your driver’s licence and Autopac coverage. Remember to include your current phone number, mailing address, your Manitoba driver’s licence number or your Manitoba Public Insurance customer number to the Autopac Services address above (in the Claims Experience Letter section). You can also fax the information to Basic Autopac Special Services at 1-877-776-9060.

Once received, we will backdate the cancellation to the effective date of your documents. If the cancellation results in a refund, it will be mailed to you at the address you provided.

Keep the Transfer of Ownership Document (TOD) portion of your Manitoba registration as proof you own the vehicle.

While driving in other jurisdictions, you must obey the laws of those jurisdictions. The laws in other jurisdictions may entitle another person to sue you for injuries or property damage. Even though you may still have Autopac that includes third party liability coverage, it may not be adequate if you are sued. Ensure you have sufficient third party liability coverage before leaving Manitoba.

See more information on cancelling a licence and cancelling a policy.

Autopac coverage ends when

  • You are required by law to register your vehicle in your new jurisdiction, or
  • You register your vehicle in your new jurisdiction, or
  • Your Autopac coverage expires or you’re suspended for nonpayment.

View a printable version of this information.