Lay-Up coverage

On this page
Sur cette page

When you take your vehicle off the road for an extended period – putting it away for the winter, for example – you could just keep your registration and road coverage.

But switching to Lay-Up coverage may save you money. Talk to your Autopac agent.


Lay-Up covers accidental loss or damage – such as fire, theft and vandalism, hail and lightning – excluding road use. It doesn’t cover:

  • collision damage
  • claims others make against you
  • vehicles stored outside Manitoba
  • vehicles stored on public roadways (vehicles must be stored on a private property within Manitoba)
  • any damage caused while operating the vehicle including your own collision damage or damage you may cause to another person’s vehicle (a vehicle under Lay-Up a policy should not be operated at any time)

Lay-Up coverage protects your vehicle up to $50,000 (including taxes). You can insure the amount beyond $50,000 with our Excess Value Coverage.

How it works

If you’re taking your vehicle off the road, visit an Autopac agent and switch your Autopac road coverage over to Autopac Lay-Up coverage. Please remember that short rate cancellation fees apply when transferring from road coverage. You keep your licence plate, but neither your plate nor your insurance is valid for driving.

Your Autopac policy then continues on its yearly cycle but now under Lay-Up coverage. Unless you switch back to road coverage, it will expire when your road coverage would normally expire.

You can switch back to road coverage any time by reactivating your registration through your Autopac agent. This automatically cancels your Lay-Up coverage.

Any time you switch back and forth between Autopac road coverage and Lay-Up coverage, you may be entitled to a credit. If you like, we can automatically apply that credit toward any premium you owe for your new coverage – whether it's road coverage or Lay-Up coverage.

Cars, motorhomes, light trucks and heavy farm or fishing trucks qualify. If your vehicle doesn't qualify but you still need Lay-Up coverage, please ask your agent for special risk Lay-Up coverage. If you’re storing a collector vehicle, you may want to consider all-year insurance protection through the Collector Vehicle Program (CVP).

The cost of Lay-Up coverage depends on your vehicle. Ask your Autopac agent or visit our Insurance Rate Calculator for a quote.