Increasing third-party liability

On this page
Sur cette page

Basic third-party liability coverage insures you up to $200,000, for claims made against you, if your vehicle:

  • Damages another vehicle or other property in Manitoba.
  • Injures a person or damages another vehicle or other property outside Manitoba but within Canada and the United States. (Motorcycle liability coverage provides protection against passenger injury claims outside Manitoba.)

This increases to $500,000 for policies with an effective date of April 1, 2021, or later.

For greater protection, we recommend that you consider increasing your coverage, especially if you travel outside Manitoba, even if only for one-day or weekend trips. You can get Autopac coverage to increase your third party liability protection to $1 million, $2 million, $5 million, $7 million or $10 million.

It’s always a good idea to have more than the Basic third-party liability limit. For example, if your vehicle severely injures one or more people, their injury costs could easily exceed your Basic limit. Or if your vehicle collides with a railway train, the damage to the train and any cargo it’s carrying is paid out of your third-party liability coverage. If you don’t have enough coverage, you could be personally responsible.

This extended coverage can transfer to another vehicle, but only for a maximum of 30 days. The transfer of the coverage is available even if the original vehicle is also in use at the time, and applies anywhere in Canada and the United States. It is important to note that if you carry only Basic Autopac third-party liability coverage, this coverage does not extend to substitute vehicles under any circumstances.

For off-road vehicles, registration includes $500,000 third-party liability for claims against you if you injure another person, either inside or outside of Manitoba. Refer to Off-Road Vehicle Extension for information on optional coverage for off-road vehicles.

You can also get higher liability limits through Special Risk Extension. Ask an Autopac agent for details.