Basic all perils coverage

On this page
Sur cette page

Basic all-perils coverage insures your vehicle and any permanently attached equipment against accidental loss or damage in Canada or the U.S. You pay the deductible and any depreciation – your Basic Autopac coverage pays the rest.


It covers damage from:

  • collision
  • “upset” (your vehicle tips or rolls over)
  • other causes (the insurance term is “comprehensive”), such as vandalism, theft, hail, and fire.

If your vehicle is damaged accidentally but not a write-off, your all-perils coverage pays for repairing it to its pre-accident condition.

For instance, if your vehicle is five years old and its fender needs to be replaced after a collision, we’ll try to find a recycled fender from the same model vehicle for the same year. When parts need replacing, the options range from using recycled parts to brand new factory-manufactured parts. Which of these options we choose depends on the vehicle’s age and condition. You can be sure that all parts we use meet equally strict standards of quality.

Sometimes, it isn’t practical or even safe to use a replacement part that’s equal in value to the one damaged in the accident. For example, it’s better to replace worn-out tires with new ones. In these situations, we’ll give you a brand new part, but you’ll have to pay for some of it. You pay for how much the damaged part had worn before the accident – called depreciation.

Depreciation: The value something has lost just through wear and tear. Similarly, if your vehicle is a write-off, it's insured for its actual cash value – not brand new replacement – up to its maximum insured value.

Actual cash value: Autopac covers the loss or damage to your vehicle based on its actual cash value when the collision happened. Your vehicle’s actual cash value is its fair market value immediately before it was damaged. We determine your vehicle’s actual cash value by independent market surveys, taking into account its year, make, model, kilometres driven and overall condition. Keep your receipts for recent repairs because these may increase your vehicle’s value, depending on the repairs. Keeping recent pictures of your vehicle on hand also makes sense. The pictures may help us assess your vehicle’s condition in case it’s stolen or destroyed.

Maximum insured value: $70,000, including taxes, is the most any car, truck, motorcycle, moped, motorhome, trailer, bus or prototype vehicle is insured for under Basic Autopac. (Some vehicle types are limited to a declared value, which may be substantially less than $70,000.) If your vehicle is worth more than $70,000, including taxes, you'll need Excess Value Coverage to cover the amount over the $70,000 limit.

Loss of use coverage

With Basic Autopac, you automatically get some protection against loss of use if your vehicle is stolen or accidentally damaged.

Stolen vehicles

Basic Autopac covers some of the costs of using other transportation when your vehicle has been stolen. We'll pay you reasonable expenses for taking vehicles for hire, using public transportation or renting another vehicle. As of July 1, 2022, the limit is $47.04 per day to a maximum of $1,411.20, including all taxes. (Coverage limits subject to change. Motorcycle and moped customers should contact an Autopac agent to ensure they qualify for full coverage.)

This protection starts 72 hours after you report the theft to us or to the police. This Loss of Use coverage ends when your vehicle is repaired, when we offer you a settlement or when the coverage maximum is reached ‒ whichever comes first.

Please phone your adjuster promptly after the police have notified you that they’ve recovered your vehicle.

Coverage applies to rentals from a company whose business is renting vehicles. It does not apply to rentals from friends, family or other private persons.

Damaged vehicles

If your vehicle has been damaged in a collision that is the fault of another Autopac-insured motorist, you may have a claim for replacement transportation expenses. You have to prove that you needed to pay for other transportation and that you did your best to minimize these costs.

You must choose the least expensive, most reasonable transportation option. For example, you should use public transportation and vehicles for hire, unless renting a vehicle would be less costly. If you own a second vehicle, you should use it instead of your damaged one.

You must keep your expenses to a minimum because the at-fault motorist is responsible only for your expenses that are strictly necessary.

Loss of use options

If your vehicle is essential to your business or daily life, consider buying additional Loss of Use coverage. This coverage pays for the reasonable costs of other transportation, even if you're responsible for the collision. It also reduces your waiting period if the vehicle was stolen.

Motorcycle and moped coverage

Basic Autopac all-perils coverage for these vehicles is limited to collision and upset protection up to the declared value, to a maximum of $70,000, including taxes. Upset protection covers you if your vehicle tips over and is damaged.

Autopac options are available to protect your vehicle against fire, theft and vandalism, and to insure your vehicle for any value beyond the maximum insured value. You can also reduce your deductibles and increase your liability coverage. See more information on Motorcycle Extension insurance.

Ask your Autopac agent for more information on these Autopac options. Some restrictions may apply. Unusual situations may require a special risk application.

Basic sound and electronic coverage

The Basic coverage limit is $1,000 for any combination of non-factory-installed audio, video and electronic communications equipment permanently attached to your vehicle.

The $1,000 limit applies to all the costs associated with a claim. This includes the actual cash value of the equipment, the value of the media inside the equipment, installation costs and applicable taxes on the replacement equipment. You may want to buy special risk coverage if your non-factory sound and electronic communications equipment has an actual cash value of more than $1,000.

Points to remember

Factory equipment

The $1,000 limit doesn't apply to factory-installed equipment. Factory-installed sound equipment is insured for its depreciated value, with no maximum.

Keep your receipts

It’s crucial to have the original purchase invoices from the retailer for your non-factory sound equipment. With your receipts, we’ll confirm the current replacement cost of the stolen equipment and apply depreciation based on how old it was. With no receipts, you get a pre-set allowance only. By examining your vehicle, we can tell if the stereo you had was either entry-level or higher-value. That’s how we determine which pre-set allowance applies to your claim.

Allowances for non-factory equipment (with no receipts)

Entry Level

Higher Value

Cassette/CD player/DVD player


$ 250

Speakers (per pair)

$ 50

$ 80


$ 50

$ 75

CD changer

$ 125

$ 175


Depreciation applies, according to the age of your stereo equipment:

Up to 1 year old:


1 to 2 years old:


2 to 3 years old:


3 to 4 years old:


4 to 5 years old:


More than 5 years old:


After depreciation, the minimum allowances are the pre-set amounts for non-factory equipment, with no receipts, shown above.

Remember, your deductible applies too. If your claim is only for stolen sound equipment and not for any other damage, we subtract your deductible from the depreciated, net value of your equipment.

For non-factory equipment, the $1,000 maximum applies after we’ve subtracted your deductible. Here’s an example:

Replacement cost


Depreciation (10%)


Net value


Less deductible


Your net payable (coverage maximum)


Coverage denied

To ensure your all-perils coverage is valid, you must follow the conditions of your policy. See more information when coverage is denied.