Winter Tire Program
Even if you’re driving safely, winter roads can be slippery. Reduce your risk on the road by purchasing winter tires with low-interest financing.
The Winter Tire Program provides low-interest financing to eligible Manitobans at prime plus two per cent*, on up to $2,000 per vehicle. This financing can be used for the purchase of qualifying winter tires and associated costs from participating retailers.
To be eligible for the Winter Tire Program, you must:
- be an individual (not corporate) Manitoba Public Insurance customer
- purchase qualifying winter tires for a passenger vehicle or light truck (gross vehicle weight under 4541 kg) registered under your name
- have no financing restrictions or outstanding arrears on your Manitoba Public Insurance account
Check your eligibility quickly and easily with our eligibility confirmation tool.
Eligible tires will display this symbol, as endorsed by Transport Canada and must appear on the list of eligible tires. It indicates that the tires have met specific snow traction performance requirements and are designed to be used in severe snow conditions.
Financing can be applied to the purchase of eligible winter tires. Customers financing eligible winter tires may also receive financing on associated costs including:
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- addition of studs to tires (some limitations apply)
- mounting and balancing
- storage costs (if paid during initial purchase)
- switchover costs (if paid during initial purchase)
- wheel alignment
- nitrogen fill
- valve stems
- shop supplies
- applicable taxes and fees
Eligible products and services financed for the same eligible vehicle can be made from multiple retailers.
The following are not eligible for financing:
- repair of tires
- maintenance/storage of tires between seasons unless included as part of the initial cost
- switchover cost of changing between all-season and winter tires after the initial purchase/installation unless included as part of the initial cost
Visiting the retailer:
- provide your vehicle registration certificate and your driver’s licence or identification card
- select a financing term between one and four years and a monthly payment withdrawal day
- choose between using the existing banking or credit card information on your Manitoba Public Insurance account, or have your Autopac agent contact you for the information
- provide your phone number and preferred Autopac agent
- read and sign the loan information (including applicable interest rate), Preauthorized Payment Agreement, promissory note and terms and conditions
- The retailer will fax your signed application to your Autopac agent.
Loan processing and payments:
- You do not have to visit an Autopac agent or Service Centre, however, if your payments are being made by someone other than yourself, the account holder for the method of payment (Visa, MasterCard or debit account) must visit the Autopac agent to sign the Preauthorized Payment Agreement.
- Once your Autopac agent processes your application, you will be mailed a payment schedule and a copy of the form you signed with the retailer. If you wish to change the monthly payment withdrawal day after viewing your payment schedule, you must contact your Autopac agent.
- If the Autopac agent needs to contact you for more information and is unable to reach you within 30 days, the full amount will be placed on your Manitoba Public Insurance account and you will be mailed a statement of account, which will be due immediately.
- You pay for your tires by making monthly, preauthorized payments to Manitoba Public Insurance through debit, Visa or MasterCard. Your first payment will be withdrawn one month from the date the loan is processed. Subsequent preauthorized payments are withdrawn each month on the withdrawal day you selected.
- Please note that there may be two payments withdrawn in the first month depending on when your monthly withdrawal day falls. For example, if your loan was processed on Oct. 5 and your monthly withdrawal day is the 8 of each month, your first payment will be withdrawn Nov. 4 and your second payment will be Nov. 8.
- You will be charged a one-time $4 administration fee per loan, which will be included in the amortized loan amount.
- The retailer will be paid directly by Manitoba Public Insurance so if your purchase exceeds the $2,000 maximum, you will be required to pay the excess amount to the retailer at the time of the purchase. If you have made your purchase through multiple retailers and the total combined amount exceeds $2,000, the excess amount will be placed on your Manitoba Public Insurance account and you will be mailed a statement of account, which will be due immediately.
- If you hold a student, work or visitor Visa permit, you are not eligible for financing authorized through a retailer. However, you may still be eligible to pre-purchase winter tires and bring in your receipts for authorization and reimbursement through an Autopac agent. Please contact your Autopac agent for details.
Pre-purchasing winter tires:
- If you purchase winter tires from a retailer who is not participating in the Winter Tire Program, you may still be eligible for financing. Confirm your eligibility and then bring a copy of your receipt(s) to an Autopac agent. If you and your purchase meet the eligibility requirements, the Autopac agent will set up a financing agreement and you will be reimbursed for the purchase. Your receipt(s) must provide proof that your purchase meets the eligibility requirements. A list of approved tires is available here.
- If the tire model you wish to purchase is not listed here but displays the qualifying symbol, send the brand name and model of the tire to Manitoba Public Insurance. Your submission will be reviewed and you will be contacted with confirmation of the tire’s eligibility.
- To be eligible for reimbursement, tires must have been purchased on or after March 6, 2014.
- There are no restrictions on where the tires can be purchased. If tires were purchased in the United States, and the invoice is in US dollars, the invoice amount will be converted to Canadian dollars using the current exchange rate.
If you’re a tire retailer interested in participating in the Winter Tire Program, email email@example.com.
If you’re a participating tire retailer already registered in the Winter Tire Program, click here.
*Interest rates are determined by the Bank of Canada and are subject to change without notice.