Proof of Registration and Insurance

Manitoba uses a dual licence plate system for most vehicles. Manitoba law requires that a licence plate be affixed to both the front and rear of the vehicle. Exceptions are repairers, dealers, motorcycles, mopeds and trailers. These types of vehicles only have one plate, which must be affixed to the rear of the vehicle.

If you have registered a vehicle in Manitoba, you must display your plates as above as proof of registration.

Manitoba Licence Plate

In some instances, you may need to use or operate a vehicle for a short amount of time or for a specific purpose. In this case, you can apply for a Temporary Registration Permit. The process to qualify for this permit is explained in detail below.

Temporary Registration Permit

A Temporary Registration Permit, issued to Manitoba residents, or a Manual Temporary Registration Permit for non-Manitoba residents only, is a short-term (one to 30 days) registration/insurance policy that authorizes the operation of a vehicle in order to move the vehicle into, out of, within or through Manitoba. The permit is valid only in Canada and the continental United States. Motorcycles are eligible for temporary registrations totaling 15 days each calendar year.

To reduce the risk of potentially unsafe vehicles on Manitoba roads, customers are only eligible to obtain a maximum of three Temporary Registration Permits per vehicle each calendar year. If more permits are required for a vehicle within a calendar year, the customer must provide a valid Certificate of Inspection (COI) for the vehicle or a legitimate reason for needing an exception.

If a vehicle is purchased or leased from a dealer, the purchasing customer is required to produce a COI before being issued a Temporary Registration Permit.

Situations where a customer requires a Temporary Registration Permit may include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • importing a newly acquired vehicle from another jurisdiction, where it was purchased, to a Manitoba destination
  • demonstrating a vehicle for sale
  • moving a vehicle to or from a location that is inside or outside Manitoba

In order to comply with Vehicle Registration Regulation 26/95 Part 3 Section 16(2), the specified use must be stated on the permit. A Temporary Registration Permit provides temporary registration and Basic Autopac coverage for the period of time specified on the permit. Optional extension coverage, including increased third party liability, reduced all perils deductibles and maximum insured value, is available.

Note: Optional extension coverage is not available for Manual Temporary Registration Permits, which are issued to non-Manitoba residents only.

Temporary Registration Permits are available at:

  • Manitoba Public Insurance locations
  • Autopac agents

Manitoba residents who are Manitoba Public Insurance customers and are importing a vehicle from another jurisdiction may contact the Manitoba Public Insurance Contact Centre to obtain a Temporary Registration Permit.

  • In Winnipeg: 204-985-7000
  • Toll-Free: 1-800-665-2410
  • Deaf Access TTY/TDD: 204-985-8832

You may also download and complete the request for Temporary Registration Permit checklist. Note: It’s important that you call us prior to faxing the Checklist so we know you are requesting a permit.

Interim Registration Permit: If you have just purchased a vehicle from a dealer, they may sell you an Interim Registration Permit. This permit allows you to drive your newly purchased vehicle for up to seven days before you have to buy licence plates.