Purchases and Trades Outside Manitoba

Temporary Registration Permits

If you're buying a vehicle outside Manitoba and driving it home, you'll need to purchase a Temporary Registration Permit for the drive back to Manitoba. A Temporary Registration Permit provides you with vehicle registration and basic Autopac coverage for up to 30 days. Optional Extension coverage is also available if you want to lower your deductible, increase your liability coverage or increase the insurable value of your vehicle.

You must be a resident of Manitoba to get a Temporary Registration Permit to bring your vehicle back to Manitoba.

It’s best to arrange for a Temporary Registration Permit through your Autopac Agent or our Customer Service Centre before you leave Manitoba. At that time, you can also arrange payment. You’ll need the following information and documents:

  • Your name, address, and driver licence number
  • The year, make, model and serial number of the vehicle you acquired
  • Proof of vehicle ownership
  • New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) if applicable (if you’re buying a brand new car in the U.S., the document is called a “Certificate of Origin”)
  • Bill of Sale with the year, make, model and serial number of the vehicle, the price you paid for it and the date you bought it
  • Transfer of Ownership document (from previous owner, signed) (if you’re buying a used car in the U.S., the document is called a “Certificate of Title”).

    Once you have all the information we need, call us to arrange for your temporary registration:

    Inside Winnipeg: 204-985–7000
    Outside Winnipeg (toll-free): 1-800-665–2410

Hours of Operation:

Monday to Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Closed Sundays

If calling from outside Manitoba, you’ll also need access to a fax machine to send us the required documentation and receive the permit, and a credit card so we can process your payment by phone.

This permit gives you temporary registration and insurance so you can drive your new vehicle back to Manitoba. However, you’ll still need to find out whether you must meet any Government of Canada import requirements. For more information about these requirements, including any import duty that may apply, contact:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
1-888-848–8240 or
Web site:

Canada Border Services Agency
1-800-461–9999 (from Canada)
204-983-3500 (outside Canada)
Web site:

Transport Canada
1-800-333–0371 (from Canada)
613-998–8616 (outside Canada)
613-998–4831 (fax) or
Web site:

Note: For semi-trailers, Temporary Registration Permits provide registration ONLY – no insurance is included.

Caution! The basic Temporary Registration Permit provides a $200,000 third party liability limit for claims others may make against you if you cause an accident. This may not be enough protection, especially if you cause an accident outside Manitoba.

When you visit your Autopac Agent to buy your Temporary Registration Permit, ask about increasing your protection.