Extension Loss of Use
If you rely on your vehicle daily, additional Extension Loss of Use coverage can make your life easier.
It covers the cost of replacement transportation if your vehicle can’t be driven because it was stolen or damaged accidentally, regardless of fault.
- If your vehicle is damaged and driveable, coverage begins when you deliver your vehicle for repairs and ends when repairs are finished or you reach your coverage limit.
- If your vehicle is damaged and undriveable, coverage begins immediately and ends when repairs are finished, your adjuster offers you a settlement for your vehicle or you reach your coverage limit.
- Extension Loss of Use for an attempted theft loss begins immediately if the vehicle is not driveable. If the vehicle is still driveable, it begins when the vehicle is delivered for repair.
- If your vehicle is stolen, coverage begins at 12:01 a.m. the day after you report to us or the police. Coverage ends when your vehicle is repaired, when you get your vehicle back undamaged or when you reach your coverage limit.
- Motorcycle and moped customers should contact an Autopac agent to ensure they qualify for full coverage.
Coverage applies to rentals from a company whose business is renting vehicles. It does not apply to rentals from friends, family or other private persons.
You can choose from three levels of Extension Loss of Use to suit your needs:
- Extension Loss of Use Level 1 is suitable for renting an “economy” or “subcompact” vehicle.
- Extension Loss of Use Level 2 is suitable for renting a “full-size” vehicle and may be enough to rent an SUV, a truck or a van.
- Extension Loss of Use Level 3 is only available to customers with a motorcycle or moped policy and is suitable for renting a motorcycle, moped or full-size vehicle.
Also, some rental companies have age, credit card and/or driver-licensing requirements for renting their vehicles. You must still meet these requirements when renting a vehicle with an Extension Loss of Use policy.
Ask an Autopac agent for details or check out our Loss of Use brochure.
- Does my Extension Loss of Use policy cover the cost of gas I use when I'm renting a vehicle?
You have a coverage limit for each day under your policy. If your basic vehicle rental doesn’t use up your daily limit, you can apply the rest to other rental company charges, such as gas, or the rental company’s insurance.
- How many times a year can I use my Extension Loss of Use coverage?
Your Extension Loss of Use is available to you for each claim you have where your vehicle is not driveable or needs repairs.
- Is there a waiting period for renting a vehicle using my Extension Loss of Use coverage?
For an accident where your vehicle is not driveable, you can rent another vehicle right away. If your vehicle is stolen, coverage starts at 12:01 a.m. the day after you report the theft to the police or to Manitoba Public Insurance. If someone tries to steal your vehicle but is unsuccessful, and your vehicle is not driveable as a result, coverage starts right away.
- Does the rental vehicle I get with Extension Loss of Use coverage have any insurance on it?
The rental vehicle will have the same basic insurance as any other rental vehicle. You can buy a Rental Vehicle Insurance policy for any rental you get from the repair shop or buy the extra insurance offered by the rental company. Your credit card may also offer insurance.
- I was rear-ended but my vehicle is still driveable. Can I rent a vehicle right away?
It depends on whether your vehicle is safe to drive. If the damage is minimal and there’s nothing that causes the vehicle to be unsafe, you can continue to drive your vehicle until it goes in for repairs. If your vehicle has to be towed away from the collision, or is unsafe to operate, your Extension Loss of Use coverage starts right away. An example of a vehicle being unsafe is if none of the lights work and you must drive it at night.
- Does Extension Loss of Use coverage for motorcycles have the same coverage as Extension Loss of Use on passenger vehicles?
It depends on what kind of Autopac coverage you have on your motorcycle. Basic Autopac coverage for passenger vehicles includes all-perils coverage, however Basic Autopac for motorcycles and mopeds is limited to collision and upset protection. If your motorcycle is insured with Basic Autopac and comprehensive motorcycle coverage, your Extension Loss of Use coverage would provide replacement transportation costs in the event of a collision or upset or a comprehensive claim.
Extension Loss of Use coverage is not a replacement for comprehensive coverage. If your motorcycle is insured with Basic Autopac only, your Extension Loss of Use coverage will only cover you if your motorcycle is damaged in a collision or by upset. Contact an Autopac agent to ensure your motorcycle qualifies for full coverage.