If you are new to Manitoba

If you are new to Manitoba, you should follow the steps listed below if you wish to register and insure vehicles in Manitoba.

1. Get a claim history letter from your previous insurer or ask your Autopac agent for a claim experience form—called a New Manitoba Residents Form—that you can send to your previous insurer.

2. Get your Manitoba driver's licence before buying your Autopac insurance or you can't qualify for a premium discount. You must get a Manitoba driver’s licence within three months of moving to Manitoba. Of course, if your driver’s licence from the place you left is about to expire, you must get a Manitoba licence right away. You need a valid driver’s licence to drive in Manitoba.

Check to see how your driving record can affect your premium.

Remember, if you don't have a valid Manitoba driver's licence when you register your vehicle, you won't qualify for an Autopac premium discount.

Young drivers who have moved to Manitoba need to know a few special rules. You can apply for a Class 5 Learner driver's licence if you're 15-1/2 years old and you're enrolled in our High School Driver Education course. If you're not enrolled in this course, you'll have to wait until you're 16. Remember that with a Class 5 Learner Stage licence you can only drive with someone who holds a Class 5 Full Stage driver's licence which must have been held for at least three years.

3. If your vehicle doesn’t have a valid Certificate of Inspection (COI) proving it’s safe, get your vehicle inspected at an authorized inspection station. To register your vehicle here, it must have been awarded a “Passed” grade on the COI. It’s illegal to drive your vehicle here if it has failed the inspection.

4. If your vehicle has a valid COI from your former home, you may be able to use it to register your vehicle here. Contact us to find out if your COI is valid in Manitoba.

5. Buy your Autopac insurance.

You have up to three months to transfer your current registration and insurance to Manitoba if:

  • it's privately owned
  • it's a passenger car or truck not used commercially
  • its gross vehicle weight is 3,700 kg or less

Otherwise, you must register here immediately. Also, if your registration and insurance from your former home expires or is cancelled within three months of moving to this province, you must register here immediately.