The majority of vehicle thefts happen with the vehicle’s own keys. It is essential to never leave an unattended vehicle running, even in your own driveway. It is equally important to take steps to protect your keys from loss or theft.
Don’t make it easy to steal your car. You can help prevent the theft of your vehicle, or of items from your vehicle, by following these simple tips:
- Protect your keys. Never leave them in your vehicle.
- Never leave your vehicle running unattended.
- Always lock your vehicle, and engage the alarm.
- Never leave valuables visible in your vehicle.
- Do not leave your driver’s licence, identification or other important documents in your vehicle.
Auto theft, particularly with keys, remains a significant issue in our province. However, the theft of vehicles has declined significantly in Winnipeg and throughout Manitoba since the early 2000s, due to a number of factors:
- Since 2007, vehicles manufactured for sale in Canada must contain an anti-theft immobilizer as standard equipment.
- Manitoba Public Insurance operated a successful Immobilizer Incentive Program until 2018. This program provided financial assistance for immobilizer installations in non-equipped vehicles.
- MPI has also partnered with law enforcement on the Winnipeg Auto Theft Suppression Strategy, encompassing a range of enforcement, suppression and intervention efforts.
- In partnership with shopping malls and parking lot operators, Manitoba Public Insurance has posted over 2,500 signs throughout Manitoba reminding drivers to lock their vehicles, use anti-theft devices and ensure their valuables are out of sight.
- MPI coordinates the Citizens on Patrol Program (COPP), which mobilizes community volunteers to be additional eyes and ears for local police.