Road Safety in Manitoba
Where are we?
According to self-reported behaviours, we know:
- 18-24 year-olds in Manitoba are least likely to report “always” wearing a seat belt (72 per cent).
- 16 per cent of drivers who drink reported that they drove when they thought they were near the legal blood alcohol level.
- 23.6 per cent of drivers surveyed in Manitoba said they either very frequently or often exceed the speed limit.
- 41 per cent of the 18-24 age group reported they often or very frequently exceed the posted speed limit.
- 62 per cent of those surveyed in Manitoba rate speeding on highways as a serious problem.
- Polling results for 15-17 year-olds revealed that:
- 35 per cent said they at least sometimes or frequently speed to get to a destination on time.
- 23 per cent said they at least sometimes or frequently drive through an amber light.
- 5 per cent report at least sometimes or frequently getting involved in unofficial races with other drivers.
As you can see, we still have a long way to go to reach our goals. However, we are committed to getting there.