Manitoba Public Insurance is looking for 'cycling champions' – individuals to educate Manitobans about cycling safety.
You can be a cycling champion by delivering a safety presentation in your school, workplace or community.
To assist you, we have developed a ready-made presentation kit that contains a facilitator's guide with speaking notes and PowerPoint presentations geared towards both children and adults. All the materials required to deliver a cycling presentation are provided at no charge.
To increase your knowledge and confidence, you can attend a free, full-day workshop led by a cycling instructor. You will spend four hours in the classroom and four hours gaining hands-on riding experience.
During the session, you will learn:
- The proper size and fit of bike.
- Use of safety equipment such as helmets.
- Skills to recognize and avoid road hazards and dangerous situations.
- Strategies on how to safely ride in traffic.
- Safe use of bike lanes and other cycling infrastructure.
Workshops are available from early spring (April – May), through the summer and into the late fall (September – October), weather permitting. Workshop times typically run from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you’d like, you can review the workshop agenda prior to registering.
Cycling Champion workshop dates:
- Saturday, June 18, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Main Street Service Centre, 1284 Main Street, Winnipeg
Custom dates and times can also be scheduled for groups of six or more potential champions.
For more information or to register for a workshop, send us an email or phone 204-985-8737 or 1-866-767-7640 (toll-free outside Winnipeg).