Features of the Manitoba Identification Card
- It is voluntary. No one is required to have one.
- It’s made with advanced technology features and won’t fade with age. Your photo and signature are laser-engraved and cannot be altered without damaging the card.
- Unique patterns on the card are difficult to counterfeit and provide another barrier against tampering.
- It does not contain a Machine Readable Zone (MRZ).*
- It does not contain a Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)** chip, so no information on your card can be read by an RFID scanner.
*The MRZ provides another way to read Enhanced Identification Cards. Identification data is encoded in optical character recognition format (letters and numbers).
**RFID is a wireless technology that stores and retrieves information remotely. For more information, see Manitoba Public Insurance’s RFID Technology brochure.
- Comparing the Identification Card to other licensing and identification options
- Changing from one type of identification card to another