Child Car Seat Replacement
If you are involved in a collision, you may need your child car or booster seat replaced. When you report a claim, please tell the Contact Centre Representative you speak with if there was a child car or booster seat in your vehicle at the time of the collision.
Manitoba Public Insurance will reimburse customers for a comparable replacement seat that meets Canada’s Motor Vehicle Safety Standards if:
- A child was in the seat at the time of the collision
- The claim involved moderate to severe damage
Moderate to severe damage may include:
- Your vehicle was non-driveable due to the collision
- A driver or passenger was hurt in the collision
- Your vehicle’s airbag(s) deployed
- Your vehicle’s door nearest the seat was damaged (not including those placed in the middle of a back seat or in the trunk)
- There is visible damage to the child car or booster seat
- Your claim is a total theft
- Your child car or booster seat is damaged by broken glass
Please note that in order to be eligible for a reimbursement:
- The seat being replaced must not be expired. Find out how to check the expiry date here.
- The damaged seat and proof of purchase of the replacement seat is presented at an MPI Service Centre within 30 days of when the claim was reported
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I’m unsure if my car or booster seat needs to be replaced?
We’re here to help. After your estimate has been completed, feel free to discuss your concerns with your adjuster, who can help assess if the damage is moderate to severe.
My car or booster seat is part of a travel system. Will you replace the entire system?
Please contact your adjuster or the Claims Processing Unit for more information on what is eligible for replacement.
Can I still participate in Direct Repair?
Yes, but please bring your receipt for the new car or booster seat and the old seat to an MPI Service Centre for reimbursement.
How long does it take to be reimbursed?
If eligible, we will issue the payment to you within 2 business days.
What if I can’t get to an MPI Service Centre within 30 days of when I’ve reported my claim?
Please contact your adjuster or the Claims Processing Unit for more information if you are unable to visit a Service Centre or replace your seat within 30 days from when the claim was reported.