When Another Autopac-Insured Driver is at Fault

Your Autopac policy doesn't cover you for replacement transportation in this situation, but you can claim against the other driver's Autopac policy.

These following conditions must apply:

  • the other driver must be at-fault
  • the other driver must have valid Autopac coverage
  • you must actually need to pay for replacement transportation. If you don't, there's no coverage. For instance, if you own another car you can drive, you don't need to pay for replacement transportation.

You must minimize your costs by:

  • using less expensive transportation, like taking a bus, when possible.
  • renting the least expensive type and size of vehicle needed for temporary transportation, if you must rent a vehicle.
  • considering a rental company with membership in the Manitoba Car and Truck Rental Association (MCTRA). Manitoba Public Insurance and MCTRA have agreed on reasonable rental charges for different types and sizes of rental vehicles. Plus, these rental companies can bill Manitoba Public Insurance directly for your rental (with pre-approval from Manitoba Public Insurance, certain restrictions apply)
  • using your vehicle until your body shop has the parts on hand to do the repairs, provided your vehicle is safe to drive.
  • asking your body shop how long the repairs will take and then checking with your adjuster to confirm that the time frame is reasonable.
  • getting your vehicle into the repair shop early enough in the week so that you don't have to leave it over a weekend.
  • starting to look for another vehicle if it's clear yours is a write-off. Don't wait for your settlement to start looking.