Questions and Answers

What information do I need to make a claim?

You should have the following information when calling to make a claim:

  • Your driver's licence and registration.
  • The time, date, and location of the accident.
  • The other driver's licence plate number and expiration date, make and model of their vehicle, and their contact information.
  • The other driver's licence number and expiration date.
  • The other driver's insurance policy number and, if out-of-province, insurance company name.
  • The vehicle owner's name (if not the driver) and address.
  • List of witnesses.
If I make a claim with Manitoba Public Insurance, do I also have to report to the police?

You do not have to report to police if only property damage was sustained in the collision, no matter what the value of that damage.

However, you must report to police within seven days if the collision involved:

  • fatality
  • serious injury (meaning someone was hospitalized)
  • unlicensed driver or unregistered vehicle
  • unidentified vehicle (e.g. hit and run)
  • failure to obtain particulars from the other party
  • suspected use of drugs or alcohol by the other driver

You must also report vehicle damage caused by suspected vandalism, theft and attempted theft to police as soon as possible.

Manitoba Public Insurance can assist you in determining if you must report your accident to the police when you call to make a claim.

Do I have to make a claim if I hit a domestic animal?

You are under no obligation to make a claim with Manitoba Public Insurance.

However, if you collide with a domestic (owned) animal, causing it injury or death, you (or a passenger if you are not able to do so) must report the collision to police if the animal is not removed from the road. If the animal has been removed from the road and the collision not reported to police, you are required to report the collision to the animal owner, if known, and if not, to the clerk of the municipality in which the collision occurred.

Who do I call to tow my vehicle after an accident and where is it towed to?

Call 204-985-7000, or if we're closed, call 204-985-7544 in Winnipeg or 204-729-9510 in Brandon.

Outside Winnipeg and Brandon, but inside Manitoba, call 1-800-665-2410. If we're closed and your vehicle isn't driveable, you can arrange your own towing. We cover reasonable towing and storage costs.

In Winnipeg, your vehicle will be towed to our compound located at 1981 Plessis Road.

In Brandon, your vehicle will be towed to Accel Towing, 940 Douglas Street. Phone 204-728-2580.

Outside Manitoba, contact a local towing company to make arrangements, and ask where your vehicle will be towed.

Where do I go for an estimate of damage to my vehicle?

When you make your claim with Manitoba Public Insurance, you will discuss your options for an estimate. You must receive an estimate of damage before your vehicle can be repaired. All claims can be estimated at one of our Service or Claim Centres, and qualifying claims can receive an estimate at a participating Direct Repair shop. The estimator identifies the damage to your vehicle and determines the repairs it needs.

On qualifying Direct Repair claims, use the Find An Accredited Repair Shop search tool. Input your claim number and fill out the required fields to locate repair shops that are capable of estimating your vehicle.

Where can I take my vehicle for repairs?

Take your vehicle to the MPI accredited repair facility of your choice. Accredited shops meet repair standards and have the right tooling, equipment and training to complete proper and safe repairs. Repairs to vehicles with complex materials, such as aluminum, boron steel or carbon fibre, may need to completed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer certified or qualified facility.

You can find an accredited repair shop that is qualified to repair your vehicle using our Find An Accredited Repair Shop search tool.

What happens if I have an accident outside Manitoba?

If you’re involved in an accident outside Manitoba, call us at 1-800-665-2410. We’re open Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. See more information.

Why don't I get a rental vehicle anytime I put in a claim?

Your insurance does not cover you for this. You are only eligible for a rental vehicle when your vehicle has been stolen or you have been involved in an accident where the other driver was at-fault. For more information, refer to Loss of Use Coverage.

Why do I have to wait 72 hours to get a rental vehicle after theft?

Like deductibles, this waiting period is standard practice in the insurance industry. For more information, refer to Loss of Use Coverage.

Are personal items inside the vehicle also covered under a claim (tools, golf clubs, hockey equipment etc)?

No. We only cover permanently attached vehicle related items. Your homeowner or business insurance should cover the type of personal items described above.

What is a deductible?

A deductible is the portion you pay of any Autopac claim for damage or theft. Autopac covers the amount of your claim over your deductible.

Why do I have to pay my deductible for vandalism, hit and run etc.?

Our portion of any claim you make is the amount over your deductible. Your portion is any amount up to your deductible. Those obligations remain the same even if you had no control over the damage, such as with hit and run, vandalism or hail.

However, if you can identify the person responsible for the damage, we'll try to get your deductible back from that person. If a stolen vehicle was responsible for the damage, we can only reimburse your deductible if the thief is identified and doesn't dispute fault for the collision.

It would be to your advantage to purchase one of our optional packages to reduce your deductible. For example, if you purchase either a $200 or $100 optional deductible, your deductible will be reduced to $0 if your vehicle is vandalized, if you collide with an animal or if your vehicle requires glass repair. For more information, see All About Deductibles.

If I am not responsible for the accident, why do I have to wait for the other party to report, before my deductible is waived?

It is always important for Manitoba Public Insurance to hear both sides of the story and to gather all information pertaining to the accident. Without this information, it would be impossible to clearly establish fault.

I am at fault for the accident. Do I pay the other party's deductible as well as my own?

No. You are only responsible for paying your deductible.

If I make a claim for glass, vandalism etc, will this affect my insurance?

No. For damage that is determined not to be your fault, your insurance will not be affected.

How will an at-fault accident affect my premiums?

An an-fault accident moves you down five levels on the Driver Safety Rating scale. Use our Driver Safety Rating Calculator to see exactly when you'll move to DSR and how an at-fault accident affects your premium.

How is the value of my vehicle determined when it has been written off?

First, we examine your vehicle carefully, noting its overall condition and mileage. Then we get a market appraisal of the vehicle from one or more independent sources. The appraisal considers the vehicle's condition and its options. Finally, we consider any recent repairs that may have increased its market value.

What if I don't agree with the liability decision made by the adjuster?

The first line of appeal is informal and goes through your adjuster and their supervisor. At this point you may ask them to reconsider your case and explain why they considered you at fault. If still not satisfied, you may choose to take the matter to Small Claims Court. Please see our Appeal Options section for further information.

How do I and the other party settle an accident privately?

Because settling your accident privately can often lead to complications, such as the guilty party refusing to pay for your damages, we don't recommend it. However if you still wish to settle privately, our claims staff can provide you with valuable advice.

Why doesn't Manitoba Public Insurance take road conditions into consideration regarding accidents?

The Highway Traffic Act and The Drivers and Vehicles Act stipulate that drivers are responsible for taking road conditions into account while driving. Through our road safety messages and programming, we do stress the importance of driving cautiously in dangerous conditions.