Personal Assistance Expenses
The Personal Injury Protection Plan (PIPP) covers the expense of hiring someone to care for you when injuries sustained in the accident prevent you from caring for yourself. The level of coverage depends on the extent of your disability.
- PIPP reimburses you, up to a monthly limit, for personal assistance expenses when:
- You can't care for yourself. This includes things like bathing and eating.
- You can't do all the essential tasks of daily life by yourself. This includes preparing meals, housekeeping and shopping.
This coverage is only available for personal needs and daily living tasks that you were doing yourself before the accident.
- Whether you qualify for Personal Care Assistance depends on what you can and can't do yourself. To qualify, your need for assistance must reach a minimum level. Your case manager will arrange to have your needs assessed.
- Coverage, up to a maximum amount, depends on how much assistance you need.
- You can hire whomever you want to help you. We will reimburse you once we have approved the expenses and you have provided a legible copy of a receipt with details about the service and the person who performed it. PIPP reimburses you based on your actual expenses for the care provided.
- Usually, your ability to care for yourself and your daily needs will improve as you recover. We re-evaluate personal assistance needs at regular intervals.