Investing in vibrant communities
Manitoba Public Insurance believes in giving back to communities and helping to build a safe, healthy and sustainable future for all Manitobans. We have a long tradition of supporting worthwhile causes across the province.
The Corporation provides sponsorship support to a number of initiatives and organizations that align with our contribution policy and Corporate Values. These include:
- Festival du Voyageur – 10-day festival celebrating fur traders who established the Red River Colony and the ever-growing French-Canadian community in Western Canada.
- Habitat for Humanity Manitoba – Work with people from all walks of life to build safe, decent, affordable housing for purchase by low-income working families.
- Junior Achievement - The world’s largest not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating young people about business.
- Manito Ahbee – A vibrant celebration of Aboriginal cultures that welcome people from all backgrounds to experience music, arts and culture in a world-class setting.
- Riverview Health Centre: Cycle on Life – Annual fundraiser that, in addition to raising money for a good cause, promotes cycling as a positive alternative to commuting in a motor vehicle.
- University of Winnipeg: Summer Camp – Summer day camp that gives disadvantaged children the opportunity to participate in fun environmental activities.
- We Day – Programming for the betterment of children, the environment and living conditions on a local and global basis.
- The North End Community Renewal Corporation’s annual Picnic In The Park, a free community event that celebrates the cultural diversity of the North End and aims to present a positive image of the community.
In addition to all of these events, we also provide support at the local level to fairs, festival and events in communities throughout rural Manitoba.
Major arts groups
Manitoba Public Insurance believes in supporting the artistic and cultural strengths of our province. We help all Manitobans enjoy these assets by supporting provincial tours of the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, the Manitoba Opera and the Manitoba Theatre Centre.
Computers for Schools Manitoba
The Corporation has contributed more than 1,500 computers to the Computer for Schools program, which recycles surplus computer equipment to schools, libraries, literacy, volunteer groups and Community Access sites. The program was formed in 2003 as a joint initiative of the Government of Canada, the Government of Manitoba and other major corporations. For further information on the program, visit their website or call 204-988-1790.
United Way and Community Foundations
Manitoba Public Insurance employees care about the communities in which they live and work. They make a difference through regular fundraising and annual payroll deduction contributions to United Way in Winnipeg and various Community Foundations.
Every year, Manitoba Public Insurance is among the top 10 corporate employee donor groups in Manitoba and is regularly nominated for Spirit Awards, which recognize organizations for creative and engaging campaigns.
In 2011, we received the Employee Quantum LEAP award for increasing workplace donors and/or donations by 25 per cent, as well as the Silver Award for our outstanding contributions to the community. In 2002, the Corporation earned the distinction of being a Cornerstone Supporter of United Way of Winnipeg for its contributions to the charity for 20 or more consecutive years.
Day of Caring
The United Way Day of Caring program partners businesses with local social agencies to carry out mutually meaningful projects, such as the Margaret Park beautification project, the Big Brothers & Big Sisters holiday party and Meals on Wheels. Manitoba Public Insurance is a proud Day of Caring partner.
iCare is an employee-driven program that runs all year long in support of local and global organizations and charities. Through fundraising, volunteering and awareness building, our iCare volunteers continually inspire all employees at Manitoba Public Insurance to make an impact.
One of the most notable iCare events is Operation Donation, an annual Winnipeg Harvest food drive led by Winnipeg schools that also sees Manitoba Public Insurance, Peak of the Market, The Manitoba Teachers' Society and Canada Safeway working together to help replenish Harvest and regional food banks low-stocked shelves.
Our employees show their generosity by wearing denim on designated days and supporting various charities throughout the province. Each year, we raise thousands of dollars in support of the Christmas Cheer Board, Cancer Care Manitoba, the Canadian Red Cross and dozens of other organizations.
Organ and tissue donation
In partnership with Transplant Manitoba, we encourage Manitobans to download and carry the Donor Card, which indicates their wish to “give the gift of life.” Organ Donor Cards can be downloaded online.